Older pig, sudden illness

SamandMel2

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Hi I’m in a tough situation and can’t get my pig to the vet for another day. I’m at a loss for what is hurting him and am asking around to see if anyone has had a similar experience.
My almost 6 years old guinea pig who has an abscess we get drained every couple months, but is otherwise healthy, has suddenly become ill. We were away and have been told he’s been sick about a week. Possibly went 48 hours with out eating. We got him back today. He is walking funny, with his butt in the air almost and is cautious with his right front paw. He eats a little slower than normal. He is acting hungry and eating. After an hour long car ride today he left behind a big pile of tiny greenish smelly poops. But nothing since. He’s been eating and drinking. Not sure what could be wrong. He has lost half a pound too. We stopped his pain meds too incase they were a problem. I started him on critical care as well. Anything this could be? Anything I should be doing to help him? Thanks in advance.

lisam

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:49 pm

Sounds like you're doing everything right until you can get him to the vet. I don't think you need to stop the pain meds, though-which one is it?

SamandMel2

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 pm

0.3 of metacam. We weren’t sure if that was causing a problem.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:18 pm

Is this is a recurring tooth abscess? How long has he been on Metacam? Is it for pain or for inflammation or both? What is his weight?

At his age, there's also a possibility of either arthritis or kidney disease. Arthritis might help explain the fact that he's walking a little awkwardly, but I wouldn't expect a sudden onset of it, though. On the other hand, if he has a problem with kidney function, longer-term use of a higher-end dose of Metacam (which is an NSAID) could exacerbate that condition and make him feel unwell. Is he staying hydrated on his own? (any changes in the amount of water that he drinks?). Any obvious signs of dehydration, such as sunken or dry eyes? Lethargy?

Another thought with older guinea pigs is that they don't always process nutrients as efficiently as younger pigs, and I might consider possibly a vitamin C deficiency which can also present with lameness/stiffness in the joints. What has his diet been? You mentioned that he went for 48 hours without eating while you were away, but that doesn't seem too likely---his gut would have likely shut down with any food in his system for that amount of time. If he was not eating pellets and not getting any C supplementation, though, it's possible that he developed a deficiency. Who was taking care of him, and what did they feed him while you were away? What brand of pellets do you normally feed?

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

SamandMel2

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:37 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! He was at my aunts for about 12 days. He had his normal hay and grain both Oxbow. He should have had an unlimited supply of both. I do think they overfed them on the veggies. Like you said 48 hours without eating would have probably killed him. So it’s likely they just didn’t notice he was eating. They said he didn’t seem to be drinking either. Now he seems to be drinking a fair amount and eating a fair amount. Sleeping a lot but that’s not out of the norm.
The abscess is on his butt. Was too close to his spine to operate. He gets 0.3ml of metacam at most every 12 hours. That is only after we have the vet drain it or if he is really biting at it. He’s been on it (off and on) for over a year. He weighed 36 ounces three weeks ago. Now he weighs 28 ounces. He looks skinny to us. His eyes look dull and sunken. He runs about and seems perky. His running is more like a hopping tho. I had him out for about an hour and he peed three times and did 5 very tiny poops after eating for a while. I am worried about kidney disease but haven’t seen more signs of it. Deficiency and arthritis seems like possibilities.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:05 am

.3cc of Metacam twice a day is definitely a higher dose for such a small guinea pig. If this is the standard 1.5mg/ml suspension of Metacam, and if I use the standard dosage range of .1-.3mg/kg, my calculation comes up to just over .1cc with a guinea pig weighing .8kg. It's generally dosed once every 24 hours. Obviously, it's a sliding scale and there has to be a balance between pain management and any possible detriment to the kidneys, but NSAIDs are generally very hard on the kidneys and would need to be used cautiously in any animal (or human) with impaired organ function.

Do his hips feel overly bony? In my experience, with chronic renal failure the muscle mass is gradually lost, and there is a slow sort of 'wasting' away with spine and hip bones feeling a lot more prominent as the disease progresses. Dull, sunken eyes is most definitely a sign of dehydration.

I think I'd have him evaluated by your vet if I were you, just to be on the safe side. In the meantime, do try to boost fluids as much as possible. In my renal pigs, I've had some good success with unflavored Pedialyte to help boost fluid intake. Subcutaneous fluids can also be given.

SamandMel2

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:15 am

I will definitely talk to my vet about what the lowest possible dosage we can give him. We have for the most part given it once every 24 hours except when that doesn’t seem like enough.
I am very worried he has an underlying kidney disease as when we adopted him almost 3 years ago he had been living in vet poor conditions. He does seem very bony, his spine and hips are sticking out. But that could be from the sudden weight loss too. He does seem to be looking better this morning. His eyes are brighter.
I am trying to get an appointment with our vet tomorrow so hopefully that will help. Thank you so much for your input!

SamandMel2

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:48 pm

So we got Sam to the vet a few days ago. The vet thought that he may be acting this way due to stress. Which makes sense. He gave him IV fluids for dehydration as we told him how his pee is redish. He said he didn’t want to stress Sam out more especially due to his age. And that we could do testing but it didn’t seem necessary yet. It’s been 3 days now and Sams pee is still red and he’s not eating or drinking much. He loudly requests food but won’t eat almost anything. Our vet has given us antibiotics to trial him on. If anyone has had a pig with similar symptoms or knows of any ways I can get him to eat without stressing him out that would be great!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:07 pm

IMO, "due to stress" is really just a vet's way of saying "I have no idea, but I'm not willing to admit that." Reddish urine is almost certainly a sign of blood in the urine, and that's not normal. Did the vet not get a urine sample to test? 6 years old, while not young, is not that old, either, considering that many guinea pigs can live to 7, 8, 9 and even 10. Was the Metacam dose discussed? The weight loss? His symptoms of dehydration? From what you've described, I don't see where this vet did anything at all other than prescribe antibiotics which, again, is something less experienced vets will do when they don't know what's wrong or how to treat it.

What antibiotic was given and at what dose? At the very least, maybe that will help with the blood in the urine, which could be a UTI (but no way to know for sure, without urinalysis).

In the meantime, if he's not eating well on his own, you may have to aggressively handfeed:
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

ETA: If you aren't already doing so, it is important to weigh daily any time a guinea pig is showing signs of illness:
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:11 pm

Ditto sef. Find a new vet.

SamandMel2

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:23 pm

Unfortunately he is the best vet for pigs in our area although we do have an animal hospital that is always ready to do testing, for a price of course. And we do have a vet who I find has more knowledge on pigs but it 2 hours away. Of course we will take him there tho.

About the Metacam he said he wanted us to continue the same dose 0.3 twice daily to put as little stress from pain on him.

Weight loss he attributed to stress. Sam has gained 4 ounces back. We are weighing him daily. The past two days he’s settled at 1 pound 15.5ish ounces.

Dehydration he gave him IV fluids and just said to watch it I think

Antibiotic prescribed is IC SULFAME 0.3ml every 12 hours. He’s been on antibiotics before and the vet said this is the one he reacted well too. Although last time we gave him a higher does as I recall.

We started syringe feeding him critical care today and he is taking it calmly. Which just shows he’s sick:(

Oh and he seems to be in pain while trying to poop. Is this due to dehydration more?
Vet said he wasn’t impacted or bloated

Thank you so much for your help. I’m really hoping we can get this sorted for my little guy!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:12 pm

I don't understand what pain he is in that warrants that high a dose of Metacam at his weight. Is it from the abscess? Is that still present? Again, sliding scale on pain meds, but at roughly .9kg, and *unless* he was in some serious discomfort, half that dose q24 would be more appropriate. Sustained use of any NSAID can wreak havoc on the kidneys. I'd just be a little concerned about the damage being done if there's nothing to really warrant that dose and frequency. But maybe I'm missing something-?

Conversely, on the antibiotic (which is SMZ), that's roughly half the recommended dose for his weight. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/dose_calculator.html
I'm not sure why it was prescribed, or why the vet thinks such a low dose would be effective for treating any underlying infection, anyway. Did he indicate why he thought it was needed? Again, I guess it could help with what I assume is blood in the urine IF there is a urinary tract infection, but he could also have a bladder stone (which often presents with straining or pain when eliminating, in addition to blood in the urine), renal disease, tumor...any number of things.

Again, in my view, this vet is not using the right (or any?) diagnostic tools to get to the bottom of these things.