Is this Bumblefoot?

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:28 am

Last dose of pain meds last night and he still struggles to eat solids. He can eat cucumbers if I chop them into little tiny match sticks, and he can eat pellets if I gently slide them past his front teeth and into his cheek, but otherwise solids still just kind of fall out of his mouth. He’s trying to eat hay as I type this but he’s not having a lot of luck. Do you think they cut his back teeth down too much? His front teeth look an ok length.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:29 pm

You have likely read this but it may help:
www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

It is usually the front teeth that are cut too short. Unsure if you'd see the same issues with molars cut too much. Since they will continue to grow, probably will correct if that was the issue.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Hats off to you for your perseverance and to Halloween for his resilience! I sure hope his feet don't flare up again.

Hedra2

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:49 am

Yeah I read but I will read again. His front teeth are ok for length so we’ll just persist with his slurry and hope once his back teeth grow a bit and he remembers what solid food is (it’s been awhile) he’ll eat normally again.

Yes fingers crossed on his feet. They are still getting red patches but the cream seems to be helping as so far they have not opened up into wounds again.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:50 pm

From your description it sounds like his back teeth aren’t connecting to grind the food. Hope his feet stay healthy!

Hedra2

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:47 pm

I think you are right itsazoo, but thankfully it does seem to be from cutting them too short because he is slowly eating less slurry and more pellets (I give him access to both).

One foot of his feet opened again into a sore but I’ve already got it under control. The lantaseptic seems to help a lot

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Aww poor Halloween! Give him our love and best wishes that his foot gets better.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:10 pm

The poor little guy, I hope he’s on the mend. Good to hear he’s eating more pellets and you got the foot under control.

Hedra2

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 pm

This pig - good grief!!! So his feet are under control, his eating is unchanged. He eats a ton of slurry and a little bit of pellet, only a bit of veggies. We have to change his fleece bedding several times a day cuz of how much he poops.

Now his tummy is really gurgly and he made a pile of informed poop with muscous in it. He seems his normal self

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Is he eating hay normally? Remind me...have you had him on probiotics? Mucus in the stools is often a sign of yeast or bacterial overgrowth.

Hedra2

Post   » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:05 pm

He has access to hay at all times but he still won’t eat it yet.

I mixed some probiotics into his slurry though and he’s already pooping normally again.

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:12 pm

And we have progress. Halloween no longer eats slurry (I kept making it and he wouldn't touch it anymore). He is 100% on solid food. He still wont eat hay (even though he has access to it at all times, I even cut it up in to smaller pieces to see if that helped) but he does eat pellets and veggies chopped small. His mucous poop came back but I gave him more probiotic and he seems to be doing well so far. I have all my fingers and toes crossed that he is going to stay well.