Dark and soft poo- please help

Eva121

Post   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:37 pm

I have had my guinea pigs since September and they have always had dark poos. I didn't think much about it until I saw other threads discussing it. How can I fix the dark poo situation? I heard its because the guinea pig may not have enough fiber but I dont know where I heard that. My guinea pigs barely eat hay, they just arent that interested. So thats probably why they have a lack of fiber? How can I make my guinea pigs eat hay? I would buy a new brand but where I live only sells Timothy Gold hay. Another stool issue is that the guinea pigs poops are a bit squishy. It isnt like diarrhea or anything, it looks normal except for when you squish it. I have taken away the guinea pigs veggies until the poo problem gets better but its been a few days and no progress. I don't have vitamin c tablets or drops (they dont sell them where I live) so I just give them bell peppers. Bell peppers are watery so it probably isnt helping that they are eating it but I dont know what else to do. I have been giving them hay and pellets. Some of their poos are small so I am worried about their food intake, but thats only 2 in 20 or so. Please share your knowledge! Thanks in advance!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

The color of the poop doesn't matter. It's determined by what they eat, and you don't need to fix anything because of the color.

How many veggies are they getting per day? And how old are the pigs?

Can you get deliveries of things you order online?

Eva121

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:15 am

They are both 3 months old and get about a cup of veggies per day and treats throughout. Yes, I can get deliveries online but they take awhile to come.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:58 am

Cut back on the veggies and see if they'll eat more hay. Pigs can easily come to prefer veggies over hay, but hay is by far the most important thing in their diet. It's what keeps the teeth properly ground down and their digestive systems moving normally. Also cut back on the treats if you're giving several per day.

Eva121

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Okay! Thank you!

Eva121

Post   » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:51 pm

I am having a squishy poo problem with my guinea pigs and have gone 1 week without veggies and no change. I was trying to order Fibreplex on Amazon but it will arrive to my parents house the 3rd or 7th and I need it to arrive the 1st or 2nd. I need my parents to bring it down to Mexico since I can't buy it here. I tried Benebac but Amazon only sells Benebac Plus. I looked at Mercado Libre and zero results as well.

Is there some other medicine I could use? Or some site that may send it sooner? I went to my vet and she told me to hold off veggies for a week and if it didnt work maybe take away water for a few hours a day. Let me tell you, I am not taking away their water. My vet is not cavvysavvy. My vet is now on break and I have been reading up on probiotics such as fibreplex and benebac but as stated above cant seem to find some that can be delivered on the 1st or 2nd of January. I looked at chewys but they dont sell any of the medicine. I also looked for ProC but no Amazon result or Mercado Libre. If anyone has anything to suggest please do.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:37 pm

You might want to read over www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html if you have not.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Yeah, I'd never limit water! I've had quite a few pigs with intermittent or constant squishy poos. We never found a solution, but it also never seemed to cause a problem aside from the mess & poop shoes. One pig seemed to do better with "Critter be Better" pellets added to her regular kibble.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:33 pm

Can you get fresh corn husks? The inner husks are good forage and may help the fiber situation. I take the outer green husks off in case they are sprayed with any chemicals. I don’t know what the growing season is there so don’t know the availability. Or try a little of the Timothy hay dipped in some unsweetened apple juice. Most guinea pigs like fruit and this may get them more interested in eating the hay. Then gradually wean them off the apple juice.

Eva121

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks everyone!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:13 pm

And even better than dipping the Timothy in apple juice is simply soaking it in water. That increases fluid intake. Remove soaked hay in an hour or two to prevent molding.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:39 pm

What is their diet? You mentioned that they get about a cup of veggies a day, but didn't say exactly what they are being fed, other than the green peppers.