Submandibular abscess

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 am

He is a cute guy! I hope it heals up completely soon. Sometimes abscesses can recur so include the area in your regular health checks (this is usually weekly, or more frequently if recently ill).

ShawnF

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:18 pm

Thanks, Lynx. I’ll make sure to keep an eye on it.

Good news on his weights.....they are trending up.

12/01: 1 lb 13.8 oz
12/02: 1 lb 14.1 oz
12/03: 1 lb 14.3 oz
12/04: 1 lb 14.4 oz
12/05: 1 lb 14.6 oz

When he saw the vet the first time for his original abscess (before his eating slowed) he was about 2 lb 2 oz (but the vet thought he was a little overweight then, anyway).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 am

Two pounds is not overweight for a guinea pig, especially a boar. Vets often go by recommendations in veterinary texts, and those number are based on lab animals, not on people's pets. All of mine have been sows, and have been at or just under three pounds each.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:21 am

There is a great analysis of condition by a contributing veterinarian (what your guinea pig should weigh - how to evaluate him/her) on this page:

www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:13 pm

I prefer my guinea pigs to be on the heavier side if at all possible. It seems inevitable that they will start to lose weight as they deal with an illness or start to age. I prefer them to have a little cushion to spare. Anything below 1000 grams starts to seem too skinny. One of my girls at 1300 grams is probably 100 grams overweight, but she had dropped to almost 850 grams during an illness. I’m happy she has recovered so well and has weight to spare if she gets sick again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:10 pm

I remember my mother saying she wished my father had some spare weight on him. A little can help, when you're ill.

ShawnF

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:06 pm

I think that’s the story I’ll keep telling myself this holiday season as I munch away at cookies and treats. 🙂

It’s for my own good, after all. 😬

ShawnF

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:13 pm

Buttons’ weight dropped almost an ounce over the past two days after achieving his recent gains. One of those two antibiotics definitely seems to bother his appetite.

He seems to still like his lettuce and carrots. His hay interest is definitely down, as is his appetite for pellets (which I don’t blame him, after all the pellet slush we’ve been syringing him). He turned down an apple slice today which is very unlike him. Apples usually excite him more than any other treat.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:02 am

An ounce is not much (could be normal variance). But given your observations, I imagine you will continue to monitor him and hand feed if needed.
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

ShawnF

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Just an update, and looking for a little advice.

Buttons finished his second round of antibiotics and is still eating only so-so. He will take lettuce pretty enthusiastically and will eat some shredded carrots and a little hay if presented to him. He is still getting the majority of his pellets thru slush force feeds. He actually seems to like it more than the critical care.

We have been optimistic as his appetite seems to be improving, but despite this, he has continued to lose weight.

From 12/05, when he was 1 lb 14oz, he has slowly and steadily dropped to 1 lb 10 oz (last night). So that is a 4 oz drop in just under 2 weeks.

During his vet visit today, the good news was that the vet felt the abscess was gone.

We did agree to have an abdominal XRay done which showed a lot of air, and the vet was worried about stasis. Buttons is still taking food, and he is still pooping (there was quite a bit in his transport cage when we arrived at the vet).

They felt his hydration looked ok, but as a measure of caution, they gave him a subcutaneous fluid push. They also gave him an injection of “an opiate” for pain. The vet gave us a different kind of Critical Care to try, which he took ok for them there. He also sent him home on the following meds:

Tramadol (to start Friday for pain, as the injection he got today is supposed to last 3 days)
Cisapride (a pro-motility drug, like Reglan)
Simethacone (basically mylicon, like what babies get for gas)

We were instructed to continue with vigorous force feeding, with an aim of 30 cc’s per day of Critical Care, and to try and get him to move/exercise, and to rub his belly, which we will do.

Tonight he seems to be a bit loopy, which I am guessing is from the opioid injection he had in the office.

So......that’s where we are at. 🙁

My questions are:

1: Any other advice to offer?
2: What kind of outcome to guinea pigs usually have under such a situation? I don’t get the feel that he has severe stasis, as he is taking some food, and is pooping, but the vet did say there was quite a bit of air
3: Should I be concerned about using the opioids for pain? I know in people, certain opioids can constipate and slow GI activity. I am not sure if trazadone would do this in a piggie, however. I think the rationale is to control pain to improve appetite, but at the same time, I don’t want to further slow his GI activity.

Thanks! 🐹

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Sorry I don’t have much to offer. How long has he been off the Baytril? Are his poops normal in size and appearance? Tramadol is usually well tolerated in guinea pigs, although I understand your concern. I don’t recall anyone here posting about problems with it.

Sometimes a little bit of exercise can help. Maybe you can give him some floor time and see if he will do a lap or two around the room. Sometimes vibration can help. When my guinea pig had bloat, I got some vibrating slippers from the drug store and put her on one. Others have used electric toothbrushes under a towel or a towel on a washing machine. It sounds like your vet is on the right track with the Cisapride and Simethacone. Let us know how Buttons continues to do.

ShawnF

Post   » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, Catie! I appreciate it.

Buttons has been off the antibiotics for about a week. His poops were very small a few weeks back, but are getting bigger.

He seems to love the new Critical Care formulation the vet gave him. He is taking it aggressively, reaching the 30 cc per day ( with more above that) has not been a problem. Yesterday night he had his first actual weight gain in weeks, putting on about 0.5 oz.

He gets his tummy rubbed with every feeding. The exercise part is a toughie as he has been more sedentary recently, which I suspect is from the opioid they gave him.

I still don’t see evidence of the abscess recurring, so I’m crossing my fingers.

I just hope his GI tract gets back to normal, and he gets back to his regular level of activity, and his regular voracious appetite. I miss him chewing on the cage bars begging for apple slices.