Sudden thirst increase, urine scald, high calcium, diet

daj

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:20 pm

I think I have realized what Henry's skin irritation is from. (The itching is another matter.) Between his lettuce, watermelon rind, occasional grass and cucumber skin, I think his consumption level on green stuff was too high. It doesn't seem to be a problem for the other two, but for Henry it does. I tend to want to keep them busy and engaged, and I hate the thought of them being bored. They are spoiled now and whine for food a lot. One issue is that I eat basically the same as them. I am raw vegan. They hear the fridge open or veggies being prepared, and they are gnawing at the cage. I have a hard time resisting, so the level given to them tends to creep upward. I need to be more mindful of it. I should know better by now. Oh, and the discharge... I'm pretty sure that was from him wiping olive oil from his skin, into his eye. It hasn't persisted.

Re: the Revolution, the prescription did say repeat as needed. I forget what the dosage was, but in general, 3 rounds is not out of the ordinary for piggies? At what point does it become a concern, does anyone know?

daj

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:24 pm

Also, does anyone have an opinion on what a comfortable temperature range is for skinnies? I have seen 74-79 F. In summer, my cooling system only gets me down to 79-80 on hot days. I find it comfortable for me, but wonder about them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Temperature and humidity affect comfort. If you are comfortable, I think he is fine.

Just make sure you treat all guinea pigs with the revolution if you are retreating and strongly believe there is still an infection. Other guinea pigs can be carriers but not as symptomatic.

daj

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:35 pm

I can't say I strongly believe one way or the other, which is very frustrating. Is it uncommon to still be scratching a lot after two doses of Revolution, and how many doses are safe? I am waiting for a call back from the vet, but haven't heard from her yet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:19 am

I wonder if an antihistamine might help with the scratching if it is dry skin related.

We are speculating at the cause. Demodex mites, for example, are very hard to find and can exist on a guinea pig that is healthy without causing problems. A guinea pig with a weaker immune system may have a breakout. They are also hard to get rid of.

A severe infestation can require more than two doses.

daj

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:45 pm

I spoke to the vet today. She doesn't want to do a third dose, since we don't even know if we're dealing with mites, and she thinks that if it was, the Revolution would have taken care of it. She suggested not putting anything on their skin for a while, and if I want to try an over the counter anti itch shampoo, I should give that a try. I also wonder about an herb like chamomile too?

At this point I don't think they are in great discomfort. They don't whimper when they scratch, and the scratching is not overly frequent. Henry, the most sensitive and most hairless one, does have a red scratch on his back pretty consistently, from his scratching, and they turn and bite at their backs every now and then. It's not at a level where I am inclined to dismiss it though, so, I guess I will look into some natural, skin soothing options and see if it helps.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:35 pm

Have you tried oiling him with cold pressed virgin coconut oil? It soothes the skin, and also has antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 am

Ditto. That was my original suggestion. It can't hurt and could help.

daj

Post   » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm

No, what I had was rancid. I will get more and give it a try. I'm looking into anti-itch shampoos for pets too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:52 pm

You definitely want the cold pressed stuff. Heat destroys the antibacterial and antifungal agents.

daj

Post   » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:45 am

How about a hydrocortisone spray? Are these OK? Are they mostly for dogs and cats? I bought an oatmeal shampoo, used it once and won't use it again... waste of $15. I wish I had smelled it first. It has such a strong fragrance, I can't even get it off my hands after bathing them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:27 am

Cortisone is a strong medicine, and should only be used if necessary. What's your hesitation about the cold pressed virgin coconut oil? A lot of people swear by it for skin conditions.