Sudden thirst increase, urine scald, high calcium, diet

daj

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:57 pm

I do use free and clear detergent with an extra rinse, and my vet said ivermectin was oral and has side effects. So, there is a topical version?

daj

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:00 pm

I will have to check with the vet about getting the topical. I will print out the info at the link you provide, to have on hand when I am discussing with her.

CleoCharity

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:16 pm

A couple of years ago, one of my girls was itching, so we brought her to the vet, and although there wasn't absolute proof there were mites, we decided to treat for it anyways (we used revolution). The first time didn't work, but after our second round, we did a huge cage clean where we washed everything, wiped down the coroplast, threw out wooden toys that we couldn't clean, etc. All the itching stopped. It could have been that they just needed a second round, but if you decide to do a third round, I would do a full cage clean where you clean absolutely everything you can before putting the treated pigs back into the cage, and see what happens. It might not do anything, but it doesn't hurt.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Multiple treatments are sometimes required.

Ivermectin is a wonderful drug. It can be given orally, by injection, or topically. And even humans use it for parasites.
www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

daj

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have nothing to lose by cleaning, so clean I will. On the ivermectin, I suppose I will have to speak to the vet to see what's recommended, given that we did 2 rounds of Revolution a month ago. Thanks again!

daj

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:32 am

Does anyone know about culturing a sample from the skin? Is this something I should check with the vet about?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Why are you trying to culture something from the skin? Skin is covered with bacteria, fungi and other living things, and you're not at all likely to get anything useful, if you can even find someone to do it.

daj

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:35 pm

I read that ringworm can be identified in this way. I am at a loss. I doubt it's ringworm because there is no telltale sign of it, but I wondered about some other fungal issue. It's been going on for months, and I have tried so many things. I haven't tried ivermectin. My vet opted for Revolution, but I'm going to go to a different vet next week. Their skin doesn't look bad now. It may look a little irritated now and then, but it's hard to tell if it's from the scratching itself or the thing causing the itch. A while back they all had heavy build up of dead skin, but this is all gone now. I've cut out all the other treatments like shampooing, and I've just been using coconut oil. I don't know how much it helps. It definitely hasn't solved the problem, but then it's only been about a week of just coconut oil.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:27 pm

I am in the process of giving our piggies Ivermectin. I ordered it from Amazon.
It appears to be working a treat and Chunky's fur is growing back from where she had gnawed two bald spots on her rump.

We also needed to get some small syringes to apply it. You need the blunt needle tips to push through the seal on the bottle

I use teh dose calculator here just make sure you select Ivermectin 1% topical

https://www.guinealynx.info/dose_calculator.html

And apply it behind their ears, they usually only need 0.05-0.06cc depending on their weight at the time of application.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 pm

daj, many of the fungal treatments are over the counter and even used for humans. If you wanted to test an area of the skin that did not look inflamed, you could try something like miconizole cream.
www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

daj

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:34 am

Rjespicer... thanks so much for this. I had no idea I could get it on Amazon. And Lynx, I have used miconazole a lot on them. This is so all over though. I couldn't do a spot treatment. The shampoo I was using has miconazole. It didn't seem to help though. I'm thinking I will get the opinion of the new vet and go from there. I don't know what he could tell me that I haven't already heard, but it's worth a try.

daj

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:40 pm

I am wondering about taking one of my itchy pigs to the vet, or just getting the ivermectin on Amazon and treating them. I'm no expert, but I can't imagine what a new vet would recommend that I haven't already heard or tried. Can anyone offer an opinion?