Emergency advice needed, 3 y o female with pyometra

Marvenpimp

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:51 pm

Hey guys!

Once again I need your advice. I took in four 3-year olds (neglect case) recently. One of the females is very sick. Bilateral hair loss and pain while urinating. She has confirmed cystitis and cystic ovaries. We also suspect Pyometra. She has been on doxy for the last 24 hours, not showing much improvement yet.

Due to her poor state I figured an emergency spay was her only chance, and she will be in surgery in 36 hours. I am hand feeding every 3 hours since she seems to eat very little on her own. My question is - am I going about this the right way? She is very skinny and losing weight. Right now she is down to 688 g. Does she even stand a chance? Does she stand a chance if we wait and see if the doxy kicks in? What would you do?

I have not known her for long but she is so dear to me. I don’t want to lose her...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:14 pm

What does the vet say about her odds for recovery since she is so small and doing poorly?

It sounds like you are doing the right things, getting her antibiotics and hand feeding. I really hope she pulls through but there are so many variables and unknowns. If there is pyometra (an infection of the uterus), choosing the right antibiotic will be especially important.

I would review all the post op advice to try to give her the best chance.
www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

Marvenpimp

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:41 pm

We have done a culture of the urine, which at times appeared to be thickened and had a lot of blood in it. The cystitis at least is caused by staph. We have already tried Bactrim and Baytril so the options are slim, hence the doxy. Most of the time with Pyometra ABs aren’t effective enough and an operation is the only option. (Or so I have read.)

I was the one pushing for surgery ASAP. I feel like I have tried everything and time is running out. The vet seemed to agree that a surgery was a good idea, and while she did react to her severe weight loss she did not seem to consider it a big problem. Sometimes I feel like she doesn’t really care either way, so it’s not very reassuring. I need to hear from the guinea pig people. Is 688 g catastrophically low? Hopefully with this intense hand feeding I can force a bit of weight on her...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm

On this page is a description by a vet to try to evaluate condition, which isn't just weight but takes other things into account. I think it's in the middle of the page and worth reading.

www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Marvenpimp

Post   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:37 am

Oh yes thank you!!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:16 am

I wish you the best of luck, both with the guinea pig and the search for a vet who cares.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Update!

My girl is home from surgery and doing well. She had deformed ovaries and a cancerous uterus. It was a very difficult surgery but the vet was happy with the result and does not believe the cancer has spread. Because of the enormous size of the uterus the bladder was very small (why it was painful to urinate) and it was affecting circulation in the bowels.
I’m so happy we did the surgery. No matter what happens, at least now she has a chance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 pm

So glad things went well! I hope she recovers quickly. You have the post op page to refer to, which includes the best advice.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:31 am

Yesterday morning I woke up and my beloved girl had died. The night before I had noticed her abdomen felt swollen, and I was going to call the vet Monday morning, but it was too late. I am so tired and sad and broken. I feel like even when I do everything I can, I hand feed day and night, give all meds at the right time, pay thousands at the vet it is never enough. I always fail them and they die. I feel like I never want to see another guinea pig again. Today I can’t even get out of bed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:53 am

Oh, I am so terribly sorry to hear this, Marvenpimp. This is heart breaking news. I know how much you loved her and how hard you tried to give her the best care possible. I am sure she knew she was loved. You have all our sympathy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:59 am

I am so sorry. But please don't blame yourself. They're fragile creatures in many ways, and it is heart-breaking to lose them, especially when they seem to be doing better. You took great care of her.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:11 am

I am so very sorry! You did what you could.