Hopefully post uri gram & weight math challenged

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:57 pm

I bought a pretty spiffy digital scale to keep track of Teddy’s weight. Confused. I know I’m looking at relative weight changes, this is a new scale, and that the vet’s scale may have been calibrated differently, etc.

My question is just math and google confused me. The vet recorded his weight as 1312 gs for his first uri visit. Then as 1.32 kg for his second visit.

On my new scale he weighed in at 1303 grams. When I look on the piggy weight charts, this seems tiny. He has been eating all along and I took him in for the uri very, very early in the event.
Just a little guy in general?
And if he did lose weight between the vets scale and mine, is going from 1312 to 1303 a lot?

Gessika

Post   » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:36 pm

1303 grams is 2.8 pounds, a healthy weight for an adult male. Both of my boars are "petite" and are under 1000g (about 2 pounds 1 ounces) or so. They were both recently at the vet and he wasn't concerned about their weights.

If your pig's weight starts to drop and he loses 60-85 grams (2-3 ounces) then that may be a sign that he should see a vet but a loss of 9 grams is nothing to be worried about.

https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:39 pm

From 1312 to 1303 is a loss of nine grams. A teaspoon of water weighs about five grams. Nine grams can easily be due to how recently he ate/pooped/drank/peed. It's not a significant number unless he's losing that much per day over a period of 7-10 days or more.

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Thank you! And-the weights are from two different scales. He had been on an oral antibiotic but then switched to nebulized because he seemed to be in discomfort.
Vet told me to continue the probiotic but didn’t give me an end point. I tried stopping Friday but but he seems cranky today so I’m going to restart it.
No wheezing, no discharge, his stools are perfect and hes eating and drinking. Just a bit cranky and clingy. He’s in my shoulder on a towel and just peed. I’ll check that to make sure nothing unusual there. Mission accomplished. I was waiting to check that. Clear and quite a deluge!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Give the probiotic for at least a couple of days after he finishes any antibiotic.

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 pm

So one more thing on the weight? Just so I get the hang of this, I weighed Teddy when I got home from work and then again after “we”’had dinner. He is very happy if I sit near his cage when I eat-then he seems to eat more, too After work, but before dinner, he was down 36 g from yesterday but within an hour and a half, he was back up 11 g. He had eaten a few lettuce leaves, a carrot chunk and gp kibble. This sound pretty average? I’m new to weighing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 pm

If you read the page Gessika posted, it has good information on monitoring weight. There are variations during the day of an ounce or more. One looks for a pattern of weight loss to know something is wrong.

p.s. I think your idea of eating near him and his wanting to eat too is a great one! It's nice for him to have company!

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:53 pm

The help through Teddy’s URI and me learning about gram etc. has been awesome. Our perky and healthy wheeker-boy is back to health. Thanks to each of you so very much!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks for the update! I am very happy he is doing well.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:58 pm

I try to weigh them at the same time each day (or week) but that isn't always consistent as the wife and daughter will sometimes end up feeding them at different times during the day depending on the schedule so I also used to do a before and after feeding weighing when they were ill.
Thankfully we are now back to weekly weighing.

I have also put the weights for our 3 girls in to to a spreadsheet that has graphs which show trends and also weekly variations, but then I tend to get a bit carried away when it comes to analyzing data.

I am glad to hear Teddy is doing well.