Olive's gas problem

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Mine get tomatoes every day. Also cucumber and carrots.

Without reading back, why are leafy greens bad for her?

Olive

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:52 pm

I've been reading several threads where the vet advised owners who have guinea pigs with gas to take them off any kind of veggie in their diet (especially the leafy ones). So I did the same. But today Olive seemed to be craving them. Moreover, she has a habit of not eating her grass till she eats a little salad. That's why I wanted to continue with her veggies (and leafy greens too if they're safe)?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:06 pm

I'd give them to her. Start with small amounts, increase them gradually, and back off if she has any worsening symptoms.

Olive

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:58 pm

The thing is that she's eating everything of whatever little bit she's pooping. This makes it very difficult for me to read her symptoms. Apart from that, I have noticed that her eyes aren't watery after I started with the new medicines. So that's a definite plus. I'll begin giving her the veggies in small quantities.

In the meantime, is there anyway I can track the progress of her poop? It's next to impossible for me to see, because, it's back in it's stomach as soon as it's out.

Also, is Cisapride needed along with the Metoclopmoride? Because Cisapride is banned in my country.

Her current medication is -

1. Metoclopmoride (Reglan) 1mg q12h
2. Simethicone (Rantac) 0.3ml q8h
3. Meloxicam (Muvera) 0.5mg q12h
4. Probiotic (Gutwell powder) 2g, twice, with water
5. Anti-flatulence drops (Zymopet) 0.3ml q12h

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 pm

My guinea pigs loved tomatoes. I think they should be okay. Very small bits of the cucumber and carrots.

Olive

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 am

Reintroduced them. She has surely missed them. Heard her chirping after days today when the fridge opened. Fingers crossed for her recovery. Can you please answer about Cisapride? Though it's banned, I can try arranging it if it's an absolute must.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:21 am

Without looking it up, I think cisapride and metaclopromide both work on the gut, one on the upper end, the other on the lower end. My guess is that she'd be fine with just one of them.

How would you get the cisapride if it's banned there?

Olive

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 am

I'm pretty sure it sells in the black market. I can try getting it if it's necessary for her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:53 am

I wouldn't trust a black market drug. You have no idea what you'd be getting.

Olive

Post   » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:04 am

Good news! She seems to be making progress with the medication I'm giving her, so I don't think cisapride will be needed.

She's still eating all her poop. Hopefully it'll change once she fully recovers.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Good news indeed!

Olive

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:59 am

She has made stunning recovery and is eating and pooping well now. Still not up to 100%. Will put her off medication as soon as she is back to 100%. I hope no owner has to face what I did with the doctors and I hope you guys are there for every owner who has to go through what I did. I couldn't have done this without the two of you. Olive and I send out hugs to you. Thank you Lynx and Bpatters. The job you both are doing is great and praiseworthy. Keep up the good work!

How can I change the name of the thread to 'Olive's health thread' so that I can continue under this thread in future (I hope I NEVER have to use it)?

I wanted to share my story in the forum. Under which category can I do it?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:44 pm

Lots of topics have a medical related title. No need to change it. Those people who can help will jump right in, responding to whatever post you add. The title will serve to remind us of her initial problem.

I hope she continues to do well!

Olive

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi. I hope this thread still works? Olive has been having gas problems every 4-6 months but she has been able to recover from the medicines that we administer;

1. Metoclopmoride 1mg q12h
2. Simethicone 0.3ml q8h
3. Meloxicam 0.5mg q12h

Her gas problem returned on 10th March. We've been administering the medicines for 6 days now. While she has been eating regularly after getting the medicines and she isn't showing signs of lethargy anymore, there hasn't been a significant increase in the level of droppings (including the ones that she eats). This got us thinking that maybe the problem is something else. Here's the situation;

1. The droppings, while fewer, are good in shape, size and color.
2. Her weight has not changed at 1060 grams.
3. We don't have exotic vets here (India) who can cater to her. So, it's down to me and whatever help I get from here.
4. I checked her for mites and rashes. She doesn't have any. If there's anyway I can make my check more thorough, please guide.
5. While it's uncommon to see this, I was thinking ( and I read it on some forums as well) she might have worms? Is there a way I can know? Also, even if she doesn't have worms, there isn't any harm in getting deworming done? Can you suggest a correct dosage and medicine for deworming?

Is there any other problem she might have which I can check for? Please suggest.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 pm

I wouldn't treat her for worms unless you have some indication that she has them. I'm not sure that fewer droppings has anything to do with worms.

Are you sure she's not eating some of the fecal droppings as well as the cecal ones? Guinea pigs will sometimes do that, so seeing fewer droppings isn't an absolute indicator that anything is wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as she's eating, her weight is stable, and her behavior is normal. Just keep a close eye on her and see if anything changes.

Olive

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm

Should I continue with the above mentioned medication? She is eating the fecal droppings as well. But it's higher than usual. Any particular reason why she might be doing so?

Also, you said that I should not treat for worms unless there's some indications. What are the indicators?

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:58 pm

Are you seeing any bloating/stomach distention with this?

1mg/kg is a standard dose for Metoclopramide, but it has a dosage range of anywhere from 0.5mg/kg to 5mg/kg (Carpenters Formulary, Fifth Edition). You might ask your vet about possibly increasing the amount of Metoclopramide short-term to see if it makes any difference, or it might be coupled with Cisapride which can further enhance GI motility.

I've never dealt with worms in guinea pigs, but I believe weight loss and possibly diarrhea would be symptomatic. Your vet could easily rule out parasites with a fecal test.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:35 pm

And thank you for posting on your guinea pig's original topic instead of starting a new one.

Olive

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Cisapride is banned here and as I mentioned, we don't have exotic vets here who will be able to cater to her. While I don't see a bloat, the shape of her droppings has changed to a teardrop as of today morning.

I feel that she is scratching herself a little more, which makes me fear for mites. But I'm not jumping to a conclusion yet, will observe her more to see if it continues.

Olive

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:04 pm

**Also, she is not eating much of her salad (tomatoes, carrots and cucumber). Is it possible that this has has caused the shape of her droppings to change (possibly due to lesser water intake)?

133 posts