Olive's gas problem

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:45 am

I'm still not being able to get rid of the gas in her body. Is there any alternate medication that I can try?

Her current dosage is:
1. Metoclopramide: 4mg per day, split in 3 doses
2. Simethicone: 36mg per day, split in 3 doses

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:32 am

Is she still on fenbendazole? Did that come from your vet, or where did you buy it? It's not an OTC drug.

She is producing more poops on the increased Metoclopramide or about the same?

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am

She's off fenbendazole now. It's probably OTC here, since I got it without prescription at a drug store for animals.

She's pooping the same even after the increased metoclopramide dose. It's getting me really worried now.

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:29 am

**I forgot to add that she's also on Vitamin C supplement (50 mg per day). The size of her droppings are also smaller than usual.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:40 am

Is there some reasons she's on so much vitamin C? Supplements are usually in the 25 mg range, rather than 50.

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:24 am

She had a swollen joint and hairfall. So, I followed what was advised here: https://www.guinealynx.info/scurvy.html

Will bring it down to the usual gradually.

I'm more worried about the gas now. It's been 20 days already.

Note: Just from physical observation, the swelling seems to have gone down a bit.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:52 pm

I mis-spoke: Panacur does appear to be available in the US without a prescription.

How many days was she on fenbendazole? It might be worth providing another fecal sample to your vet for testing to see if the parasitic population has decreased any vs. no change.

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:36 pm

She was on a 5 day dose of 20mg per dose. I'm not sure if I'll have labs open here for testing at the moment, since the country is in lockdown till 14th April. Will still try to get it done.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 pm

That really would be the only way to know if the drug is working or not. Again, I'm not all that familiar with internal parasites, but I'm *assuming* (assumption only) that more serious cases might warrant another round of treatment if the parasites were not fully wiped out the first time. It would certainly be something to ask your vet.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:21 pm

And I shouldn't do anything about the metoclopramide and simethicone?

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:01 pm

Also, I'm almost out of fenbendazole. I've got 5 tablets of panacur (150 mg each). So, I'm worried about not being able to find any in this lockdown, if I'm out of it. My question is, can I create a solution in water of these tablets and then administer from it as and when required? Will being dissolved in water for long deteriorate the impact of the drug?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:51 pm

You could quarter the tabs and crush a quarter, mix with, say, 1cc of water, give 0.5cc per dose, refrigerate the balance for the next dose. I think this would put you near the dose you were aiming for.