Guinea Pig Dropped/Fell

squishiisquid

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 pm

I was waiting for my fleece liner to finish in the wash earlier tonight, & had my pigs out on my bed with me. I guess I scared Appa, because she bolted out of her hidey & did a half-jump, half-fall off of the bed. It was only about 25 inches high, & she seems to be doing okay, unfortunately, the only vet I know of in my area is closed until tomorrow morning.
So far, I've checked her front teeth, which are okay, & felt around her entire body, she didn't act hurt, but I worry she may be hiding any real injury. The only unusual thing is that she's lying down, which I don't usually see a lot of.
In the mean time, while waiting to get to the vet, is there any other advice anyone can give me on what to do?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Just watch her closely, and get her to a vet if she shows any signs of pain, or stops eating/pooping.

But you should never let your pigs loose on any elevated surface, like your bed. They have eyes on the sides of their head, not in the front, which means they have very poor depth perception. Three inches, three feet -- it looks the same to them, and they're very apt to fall/run off.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:28 pm

I hope she is fine.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Is she walking normally?

squishiisquid

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:37 pm

That's good to know. I would never do anything to intentionally harm my pet, & have really tried my hardest to do research & give them the best care, as this is my first pair of cavies. Unfortunately, I made a bad judgement call on this one.

Obviously, I'll be more mindful next time. (Although I wish I could apologize to the poor thing.) The good news is, she's actually finally trying some bell peppers, which she has been skeptical of previously. She's even started running around & following her cage mate, so I'm hoping this is a good sign.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 pm

She'll accept an apology of a bit of fruit or herb. Watermelon would be awesome!

JX4

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 pm

Mine think canned pumpkin is the best apology ever!

(Note: I use canned pumpkin that is pure pumpkin with no preservatives or any other additives. They do not get it very often at all, so it really is just for special occasions.)

squishiisquid

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:18 am

Thank you guys!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:42 am

Keep a close eye on her for a few days, but running around is an excellent sign.

squishiisquid

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:37 pm

She has a vet appointment 2 days from now. I wanted to be on the safe side. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:09 am

I have seen them take falls I thought would kill them for sure and have nothing wrong at all. Alternatively, I have seen a minor bump turn out fatal. It's just how they fall and what they hit. Always good to remember how fragile they really are. They are prey animals for a reason, their bones and bodies are soft so as to make them... I won't fill in the blank.

If you've not noticed anything by now I would think she is fine but always good to have a wellness checkup

squishiisquid

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Good news! The vet said appa is looking great. He didn't see any problems regarding the fall (or with anything else) He checked everything thoroughly over, + is happy with what he saw.