Tempest Swollen Foot

Laurashannon

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:01 pm

It was suggested by All Paws rescue in Oklahoma City that I contact you about an issue we have with our guinea pig. We adopted a female around the first of June from All Paws. She had what seemed to be a deformed foot when we got her and she hopped rather than walked. Her front feet seemed sensitive and in later June her rear toe was very swollen and painful. We took her to a vet in Gunnison CO who put her on antibiotics and a pain med. Within the week the swelling went down. Then she lost her toe nail. The foot is now inflamed and swollen again. The GP reacts if I touch it in pain. And I have not been able to cut her nails.

We use fleece lining and change it every 5 days. We have 2 piggies. The cage is Guinea Habitat.

I looked at foot section of your site and I cannot find anything related to our issue.

We will be near Gunnison for 2 more weeks and then we will be in Tulsa for the fall.

Thanks!!!! Laura

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:25 pm

Can you post a picture? You'll have to host it somewhere else and link it here. Or you can send it to Lynx and she'll post it. She'll give you the address to send it to -- she uses a gif rather than a plan text address so people can't harvest her address.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi. Laurashannon wrote me and had sent these pics. I wrote:
... read over www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html This is not precisely what is wrong with your guinea pig but note the Epsom salt soaks which could help. And note the warnings about not getting the salts in the eyes.

Laurashannon

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Photo #1 is from the first time we saw the problem and took her to the vet. Antibiotics helped swelling go down.
Photo #2 is what her foot looked like when we adopted here.
Photo #3 & 4 are from today. The swelling happened in the last few days. And it hurts.
She is eating, drinking, and pooping as normal.
Thank you!!!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Ditto Lynx on the Epsom Salts soaks. They're very helpful in reducing swelling and inflammation.

Laurashannon

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:48 pm

So should I hold off on xrays? We have stared soaking foot (.5 cup water & 1/8 teaspoon of salt) twice a day. Thanks!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 pm

I'd want an x-ray.