Jumbo - lump on the side of his neck

justanthony

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi all,

I regularly read the forum, but never posted so far.
I have 2 boys and they were always healthy.
I am a fairly new piggy mommy.

Jumbo is adopted piggy and he is around 2 years old.

Today I've taken him to regular yearly check-up and the exotic vet found a peanut sized lump on the side of his neck.
I was kind of shocked because I just didn't expect it. I check my piggies regularly and to be honest I was never checking this area thoroughly enough.
Lump is just below the skin and in the form of a capsule.
With my permission, vet punctured it and tried to extract some of it to see it under the microscope, although she said she probably won't be able to confirm what it is without surgery and sending it to a lab. (it was a cheesy extract). She said it could be a fatty lipoma, cyst or an abscess.

Vet suggested doing a surgery under general anesthesia and sending a sample to the lab or possibly she said she could do it only under sedation since the lump is just under the skin.

Third option was to go home and monitor that lump and come back for a recheck in a week to see if the size has changed. That lump could have been there for a while as far as I know. His last checkup was a year ago.

I have no idea what to do. I am reading whole day about abscesses, cervical lympadenitis, tumors,etc.

Do I have to send him to a surgery if this thing doesn't grow or make him any problems?
He acts normal and doesn't lose any weight.
I am scared of anesthesia or sedation.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:33 pm

If he were mine, I'd want it removed, but I'd be very comfortable with watching it carefully for a week. How rapidly it grows could give the vet a clue to what it is.

If it's a tumor, it could be malignant, and if you got it out now, he might be cured.

If it's cervical lymphadenitis, the lump is likely to rupture, and the organism that causes it is very contageous.

If it's an abscess, it may also rupture, and probably will keep recurring.

Are you seeing an exotic vet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:47 pm

For what it's worth, guinea pig pus is rather cheesy in texture.

justanthony

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:29 pm

Yes it is exotic vet.
Thank you for quick response.

Would you go with general anesthesia or with sedation?
I was told if I go GA there is a full team watching over him.
If I go sedation, they would probably have to top it up depending how it goes and they would do it in exam room.

I had a feeling vet prefers GA

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:06 pm

I'd hold off on the decision until the week is over and see if the vet has any more idea what the lump is.

The vet probably prefers GA because if removal of the lump is any more complicated than he expects, the pig is already set up for a longer surgery. If they use sedation and the surgery gets complicated, then they have to switch anesthesia modes in the middle of the surgery.

However, if it's a well defined, loose lump that hasn't increased in size in that time, it may be fine to do it with just sedation.

justanthony

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:29 pm

Thank you.
I will update here when I know more info

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:09 am

From what I understand, sedation (using injected medications to induce anesthesia) depresses the system more. Inhalant anesthesia is preferred.