Abscess on 8 1/2 year old guinea pig

peterhd1

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi, we have an 8 1/2 year old guinea pig. He's on his own as his brother died a year or more ago. Has developed what seems likely to be an abscess. Hard, on his flank, about 1/3 to 1/2 of a golf ball sized. Generally has been in ok health given age. No puncture / bites and no particular reason he would have had either. He doesn't seem to be in pain. Kids are worried he could go downhill quickly and think maybe best to go to vet which is likely to mean he gets put to sleep they think. Brother was in a bit of pain when he was put to sleep and they don't want any unecessary suffering. Any views?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:03 pm

I'd definitely have it evaluated by a vet. It may be an abscess, it may be a tumor that may or may not be malignant. And he's unlikely to have an abscess without a puncture or bites or some penetration of the skin. You'll want to get ahead of any possible severe pain, and that will require a vet.

Eight and a half is an amazing age for a guinea pig -- congratulations on getting him this far. Keep us posted on what you decide and how he gets along.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:49 pm

I second seeing a vet (an exotics vet who has lots of experience with guinea pigs). If he is otherwise in good health, he may heal fine, with treatment.

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 pm

That is a great age for a gp and wonderful he is in good health. I too would bring him to a very good vet for opinion and go from there. Good luck.

peterhd1

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi & thanks for the advice, we got an appointment the next day however he had deteriorated somewhat by then. Did not seem in pain but lying on side not doing too much. Although it was hot this was not his normal behaviour. Anyway the vet thought it was either an abscess or a cancerous growth and probably the latter as it was firm not pus-filled. To cut to the quick Pirate Patch is now with his brother Ginger.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:15 pm

I'm very sorry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:32 pm

I am so sorry to hear you lost him.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:28 am

I'm sorry you lost him. He did live a good long life so you must have a done a lot of the right things.

Rest in peace, Pirate Patch. You are loved and missed.

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:53 pm

Sorry to hear you lost him. I hope our 3 girls live to such a ripe old age

Rest in peace Pirate Patch.