Regurgitating while force feeding?

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 pm

They want to do xrays and/or bloodwork. Apparently her temperature keeps dropping. What could be causing this? Should I let her go?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Has she given you an instructions on what to do if she becomes bloated again? There are links to some helpful information here:
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:26 pm

A dropping temperature is not a good sign. It wouldn't hurt to be thinking about whether or not it's time to call it quits, but I'd want some more info first.

I'm not sure what, if anything, blood work would tell you. It's very stressful for a pig to draw blood, and you have to weigh that against what they could learn from it.

I'd agree to x-rays if it were me. They're not perfect when dealing with soft tissues, but they're not by any means useless.

How old is she?

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 pm

She's 4.

Apparently she had a stroke and a sudden drop in blood glucose while she was being observed. Doc says that she's not moving much, just sort of pawing at the air. Doc says that can be a sign of trying to pass away. She's being kept in hospital with permission to cross her over if the situation seems to call for it. If she wants to live I want to do everything I can but if she doesn't want to live I don't want to torture her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose them, and especially before they've lived out their already too-short life time. If she goes, I hope it's quickly and peacefully.

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:56 pm

I just can't stop wondering if I did the right thing leaving her at the hospital. I feel so bad leaving her there when she might not come home. Maybe I should have brought her home where things are familiar. I just don't know. I just want her home with me.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Can you go back and get her?

Svh

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:32 pm

I'm so sorry you're in this situation, I was so hoping to come back to a positive update for you both.

I've never really gone through much of anything like this with my pigs, so I really don't have anything constructive to add. You're doing the best you can with her.

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:41 pm

I've already returned the rental car.

Both of the docs I spoke with strongly encouraged me to let them keep her over night. I'm just in a bit of an emotional state and it is hard to be objective. They are good doctors. I know she is in good hands.

Thank you both for your thoughts and sympathy.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 am

Sending good thoughts your way. I know this is difficult.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:25 am

You are in my thoughts as well. Hoping she makes it through this, but...

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:04 pm

I've been in a similar situation, it hurts like hell and whatever choice you make you are always second guessing yourself.

You made a tough choice but put her health first so she is where she can get the best care if she needs it.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers and hoping for good news.

Guineapun

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:34 am

They just called. She is gone.
Goodbye Zipper. I love you. I'm sorry.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2019

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:51 am

I'm so sorry. You did everything you could. You took good care of her and gave her the best life.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:12 am

I am so sorry for your loss, Guineapun. You have our sympathy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:45 am

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Svh

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm so sorry she didn't make it. Rest assured you did everything you could to give her the best chances.

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:51 pm

So sorry to hear that.

You did all you could, it is not your fault.

You loved her and she loved you.

Remember her with happiness and smiles.

RIP Zipper, say hi to Mu Mu for me :'(

Guineapun

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Thank you everyone for your help and sympathy. <3

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:11 am

I'm very sorry for your loss. You did do everything you could.

Rest in peace, little Zipper. You are loved and missed.

60 posts