Regurgitating while force feeding?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Svh is very right about how long it can take to put weight back on.

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:49 am

She's in the hospital. They took her in & started feedings last night, they think she'll be strong enough for anathetic for teeth & bloodwork today.

Svh

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:21 pm

Keep us updated. I'm hoping for the best for you guys.

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Overgrown teeth and a throat abscess. Dr. says she is recovering nicely and I can bring her home tomorrow. She's going to give me subcues for pain and antibiotics.

Svh thank you so much for recommending them. I'm taking my pigs there exclusively from now on. If I had gone there from the start I'd have saved over $300 in vet/car rental/medication bills and lots of heartache and stress to us both. She probably wouldn't have lost as much weight either. Now I know who to trust.

The doc that gave my baby such poor treatment was at Fruitland animal hospital. Can you believe the same day they sent me a marketing email linking to their reviews page? I'm disgusted by their attitude.

Svh

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:56 pm

So happy to hear that she has a proper diagnosis and so far treatment has been successful! She will be a lot more comfortable now and will likely be able to eat and swallow much more.

Did you end up taking her to campus estates?

That's very unfortunate about Fruitland. If you can, leave a review warning other people. To me, there is nothing worse than these under-educated vets claiming they treat guinea pigs (or any small pet) when in reality they have no idea what they are doing.

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Yes, I did take her to Campus Estates.

And I agree. I wonder how many pets are lost or suffer because well-meaning people take them to vets who make claims they can't back up or aren't really invested in exotics care.

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:06 pm

I'm just wondering- the doc said she had an abscess deep in her mouth/throat that they cleaned out as well as they could while she was under, but I doubt if I'll be able to flush it out with her awake. What should I ask the doc about internal abscess care? Will antibiotics be sufficient? Her sister died of abscesses.

Svh

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:45 pm

You're right, you would be unable to do any maintenance with the abscess due to its location. I imagine their hope is that the antibiotics will take of it and they will want to sedate her and recheck how its doing in 4-6 weeks or sooner if she is still having difficulty.

Just be sure to ask if there is anything specific you should be doing while you are picking her up. I imagine they will go through at home care with you though.

Regardless, with her teeth being overgrown they will want to do a recheck and re-trim (if necessary) in about 6 weeks. That seems to be their standard protocol when starting with dental pigs. Hopefully your girl won't need long term molar trims, but that seems to be the usual with pigs who teeth over grow once.

I'm happy Campus Estates was able to help. They have always been fabulous with me. I have 10 guinea pigs and have had multiple issues treated at the clinic. From bloat and stasis, bladder stones, molar trims, URI's and more. They have always been able to help, reasonable in pricing and I'm confident they provide the best medical care possible. They are also really good about getting you in on short notice, the receptionists understand that when you call with a sick guinea pig, they often need to be seen practically immediately.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Might the abscess be Cervical Lymphadenitis (CL) or "Lumps" ?
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 439#160439

Unsure where in the throat it is.

Guineapun

Post   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:19 am

Lynx- thank you for bringing that link to my attention! I'll ask about it. I appreciate your help so much.

Svh- 10 pigs!? Wow! <3
Thanks for the warning about the periodic returns. It's good to have an idea what to expect. Yes and I'm so grateful that CVH obviously puts the care in but they still seem to work on keeping the cost as low as they can. I wish for exotic pet insurance in Canada!

Svh

Post   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 pm

How's your girl? Were you able to pick her up today?

Guineapun

Post   » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:49 am

Picked her up, learned how to do subcue, brought her home. She seems better, peppy, interested, actually lying down instead of just hunching. She is slightly heavier and more willing to try eating, though it is still is challenge for her and we will keep up with the CC for a while. She ate some pellets and drank water on her own.

They've got her on lots of meds, the motility drugs seem to make her feel a lot better and she gets painkillers too. I'm keeping her seperate overnight to monitor her poops and give her a chance to eat without competition but she was very happy to see her family so I'm going to keep them together during the day.