Red Ball like structure coming out of anus

Dhipamu5

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:34 am

Hello,
I've got what might be a problem with my 4 month female guide pig.I would go to a vet, but since I live in India it is difficult to find doctors who treat guinea pigs.There appears to be a red ball like structure coming out of her anus.I am wondering whether this is normal or not.She does not seem to be showing any signs of illness.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:20 pm

No, it's not normal, and may be a prolapsed intestine. Can you post a picture?

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:37 pm

Oh that sounds terrible

I hope you find answers

Dhipamu5

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:56 am

The same problem has occurred again,unlike last time when it when back to normal,her anus has been red and bloated for a week now.
I have been trying to post a picture,but I am not able to do so due to my confusion about the BBCode.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:08 am

I think you emailed me about posting a picture. If you have a crisp, clear photo, you can reply to that email. Include your board name.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:04 pm

I still think it's a prolapsed intestine, or a possible intestinal growth. Can you find a decent vet to see her?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:17 pm

I think this is a male and that you need to protrude the penis to clean it off so it will retract correctly.

Two pics you sent of the "female":

Your question about if this guinea pig is a male or female - I vote male:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:21 pm

LOL! Definitely NOT a female!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:32 pm

The last picture I think is a different guinea pig. The top two are the "female".

Dhipamu5

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:10 am

Thank you for posting the pictures.
How do I protrude the penis?Do I need to go see a vet or can it be done at home?

Dhipamu5

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:19 am

Are you sure that the guinea pig in that last picture is a male?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:20 am

See http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm for instructions on how to protrude the penis.

Those look like testicles to me on the bottom picture, but again, extrusion of the penis is the acid test.

You can also feel for the penis bone by putting your finger crosswise of the abdomen, just above the genitalia, pressing down, and rolling your finger back and forth. You should be able to feel the bone (called the baculum) underneath your finger.