Leo, Elder with URI

Windpixie47

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:08 pm

My elder boar, Leo, has his first URI. He has allergies, which may be a trigger, and his bonded buddy passed about 2 months ago. Leo is 5.5 or more (not sure). We caught the infection early, his lungs were clear. He has been on Baytril for 48 hours, and the infection is MUCH improved. However, Leo is eating very little, and he bucks and snorts something terrible over taking the medication. I can barely control him, and basically he just wears out and submits. He used to take his Meloxicam cheerfully, but now he refuses anything in a syringe.

Which is causing a huge problem for hand feeding. He was eating critical care off a spoon, but no more. He eats and drinks sporadically, and he poops and pees sporadically as well. He appears agitated now when he’s on my lap. He seems terrified of me and uses every ounce of energy to resist a syringe. I feel like I’m torturing him.

I read about antibiotic intolerance, don’t know if that’s what I should suspect. My local vet is adequate, the expert is 1.5 hours away, but I am caregiver to an ailing husband and mother, so I can’t get to that one.

Questions:
1. How do I feed him?
2. Should I give him the evening dose of Baytril?
3. How should I prompt the vet?
4. Other advice?

Weight: Normally 1150, down to 1050 after buddy passed, up to 1130, then down to 1096 since URI
Poops: small, normal consistency, few
Other conditions: arthritis, allergies

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 am

Has the weight dropped further since he's been on the Baytril? Or has he at least stopped losing? Fighting the syringe is a good sign, actually, because he feels strong enough to fight. What a pain, though. You do need to keep him eating - hand feeding becomes literally force feeding. I'd hate to stop the Baytril since it's having a positive effect on the infection. I'd ask the vet about your weight/non-eating concerns and see if another antibiotic would be effective.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 am

Yes, the Baytril can affect appetite.

Read over www.guinealynx.info/tips.html and www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

I am happy to see you are weighing him regularly.

Windpixie47

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Leo’s infection has improved dramatically, but he definitely isn’t eating much. The local vet (I call him Dr. Big Shot) denies Baytril can affect the appetite, but Dr. Kamaka (the fabulous one who’s far away) suggested switching him to TMS.

However, I couldn’t quite square inappetence with the fact that Leo still begs for treats. So I poked around and discovered a broken front tooth. Aha! He is currently nibbling an herbed pellet slop.

Would the broken tooth be related to the URI??

Weight is steady between 1060-1090.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:11 pm

A broken tooth is not related to a URI.

If Dr. Big Shot thinks Baytril doesn't affect the appetite, he doesn't know much about guinea pigs, and I wouldn't be seeing him again.

Windpixie47

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Leo finished his Baytril, developed some soft poops, recovered with Bene-bac, but still seemed listless with a general failure to thrive. He didn’t sneeze nor were his eyes crusty while on ABX, but now that he’s off, he has both. His nose is not crusty, however.

AND, he perked up amazingly because we brought home a new baby boy yesterday. Obviously they are separated, but just the sound of another cavy seems to have lifted Leo out of the doldrums. The good vet is giving me a supply of TMZ to have on hand in case of a recurrence. For an old guy, Leo is doing very well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 pm

If Leo is sneezing again and has crusty eyes, it sounds like he needs more medication.
www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

Windpixie47

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:32 pm

The exotics vet (not Dr. Big Shot) believes he has chronic sinusitis, which doesn’t require treatment unless it becomes acute. She sent a supply of ABX to have on hand in case. Meanwhile, Leo is thriving. He started gaining weight back.

And then last week we brought him a new buddy, Iggy. Iggy and Leo haven’t met yet, but just the sounds and smells of having another boy in the house really boosted Leo’s outlook. He is eating like there is no tomorrow (we put him on half KMS and half Cavy Cuisine for youngsters), and he is up and doing. He begs for treats again, started talking again, and he’s generally engaged in life. He’s a happy boy.

Antiotics are lifesavers when you need them, but good companionship is equally essential to health and happiness!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:25 pm

I would not feed an older boar Cavy Cuisine for pups. It's high in calcium, and you may be swapping one problem for a worse one, bladder stones.

There's really no need to try to push a pig to gain weight unless they're really dangerously underweight. Adult pigs gain very slowly, but as long as it's going up, don't worry about it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Look over www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html On that page are a veterinarian's guidelines for determining if your guinea pig is a good weight.

Windpixie47

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:04 pm

At 1039, he was scrawny. He’s weighed as much as 1200, but we’re aiming for 1100 (now 1085). Then we’ll back him off the pup food. One thing, his top incisor isn’t growing back, vet says it probably won’t since it’s been three weeks. He doesn’t seem to handle the large KMS pellets as well as the more slender CC ones. I got a sample of Sherwood, the pellets are nice and small, but the calcium is double. That doesn’t seem good. He always eats the small pellets first, no matter what brand.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Oxbow also makes timothy pellets, same size as the alfalfa ones as far as I know. If it's just a size issue, I'd try them.