Fungal Infection

HopeKeltie1996

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 8:31 am

Hello,

I desperately need help,

I’ve had my 6 month old male Twix at the vets for dry ears and a scabby nose, they diagnosed a fungal infection and gave me a 2 week course of intrafungal. Since starting the treatment I came in to find Twix hunched up with his eyes closed, he was eating and pooing still. Today however he is just sleeping, he can’t stand, he’s not eating and seems to be getting dirahrea, he is also breathing shallow and seems to be struggling as he is making crackling noises with each breath. I’ve researched and found some medicines to have toxic effects, he’s a small guinea pig and I’m now not very confident with my vets. Any advice would be much appreciated I just want him to get well. I’m taking him back to the vets in an hour. Thank you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 10:29 am

You've undoubtedly already been back to the vet, so this is probably too late.

If the antifungal they gave you was an oral medication, that may be the problem. That stuff is hell on both people and animals, and I wouldn't give it unless all other treatments had failed. A simple ointment should have taken care of what you describe.

And yes, I'd find another vet if possible.

Please let us know how he's doing.

HopeKeltie1996

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 am

The vet said he was unresponsive and that any treatment she could give him would be futile, so I said it was ok to put him to sleep as she suggested, he was chattering his teeth when she was examining him. I asked did she think the medication the practice prescribed was too much and she said it’s what they normally prescribe, she’s doing a post-mortem after I mentioned this. I’m scared his friend will miss him too much and I’ll lose them both. Vets should by now have more knowledge about guinea pigs, I’m sick of the excuse that they’re too small and that there’s nothing they can really do. Thank you for this advice, I’m also never using that vet again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 11:47 am

I am so sorry he's gone. Sometimes a guinea pig has multiple issues and an illness like a URI is missed. He sounded very ill.

You might want to read over www.guinealynx.info/alone.html

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 11:55 am

I'm so sorry you've lost him.

I've been treating my guinea pigs who have fungal infections with Miconazole Lotion. This is a liquid applied directly to the spots. I know it's too late for your little Twix but you might keep this in mind for the next one, who has probably been infected by the first if they've been living together.