Blindness and social interaction

AyaMcCabre

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 11:59 pm

So I've wondered for a while if one of my pigs might be blind. She's the bottom of the pecking order and gets chased off a lot because she walks into the others. All my pigs except the newest have a history of eye ulcers (hay supply issue, five ulcers in two weeks) so potential damage was expected. I tested them by giving them a carrot and then moving it and watching them find it..... and four of them couldn't find it by sight. I wouldn't have believed it if the fifth hadn't been so obviously able to see it.
This leaves me with a group of three blind or vision impaired pigs who often squabble, possibly because they can't easily avoid each other. I've seen non-responses to threats (head raising etc), trouble finding food, and constant submission squeaks from Pippa because she doesn't know when she might get chased. I tried to see if Pippa would be happier with only one other pig, but she's terrified when I put her near Francis.
How do I work with this? Would changes to their environment help them be less stressed? More space? Less clutter? Fewer changes to toys and furnishings? Has this contributed to my issues with introducing them? The other day my flatmate accidentally put one back in the wrong half of the pen and he didn't notice there was another pig in there.... they usually fight given the chance. If he had realised she was following him.... that has to be stressful. Do I need to be doing things differently? I never had pigs before these guys.... Pikelet (on trial, in quarantine) might actually be my first sighted pig. It would explain why I never noticed but also now I'm not sure what to expect from him.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 9:57 am

What size is their current cage? I’d keep clutter and toys to a minimum: hides, bowls and bottles. I’d also recommend no ramps if they can’t see. I’d also keep changed in where things are to a minimum as well.

As for your other questions someone with more experience will have to step in. I’ve never had a blind pig so I’m going off of my blind dog experience

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sun May 06, 2018 11:27 pm

I have a blind piggy, who has been blind since we adopted him. For his cage, we try to really keep the hideys, water bottles and hay in the same place, and he does really well getting around the cage. Over the years, he's also gotten more comfortable exploring a bit during floor time, and no longer bumps into things. For him, I think it has also helped that he has had very tolerant cage mates who share food with no problem and will move if he tries to go into the hidey they currently occupy. One will even go after him and herd him back if he wanders too far off during floor time. I don't know how long you've had your blind piggy, but it's possible they just need more time to become accustomed to their living space.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 am

It sounds like you have a wonderful group of guinea pigs, CavyDad!

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Wed May 09, 2018 12:32 am

Thanks, Lynx. We got very lucky with that trio. None of them ever really insisted on being the alpha pig, and it just kind of worked out. It's down to a pair now and they are very strongly bonded.

I will say,Rocket's original pairing didn't work out. The first buddy was bullying him, and I think it's just because Rocket would be in the way, and not realize it. His permanent buddies just seemed to sense how to give him space, or nudge him out of the way without nipping at him.

Also, I separate Rocket for veggie time--not necessarily because he is blind, but because he is a slow eater, and his buddy inhales veggies like they are going to disappear if he doesn't.