Hiding and scared guinea pig? HELP!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 8:03 am

Not pregnant is a good thing! Do continue weighing at least weekly to monitor health.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 10:08 am

If you've had her for 11 weeks without a male, she's not pregnant.

bebe_thepiggy

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Hello again everyone! lol. Bebe is doing really well! She’s warming up to me and licks to lick my finger when we snuggle. Anyway, that’s not why I’m here again. Any tips/hacks for getting hay off of carpet without having to buy something very expensive?

bebe_thepiggy

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:17 pm

So we got another guinea pig. My dad is building a cage for both of them now but her name is either going to be Minnie or Lola but she’s currently in a bin cage until the new one is ready and i have time for the introduction (which is tomorrow but idk if the cage will be ready by then but i think it will). I got her from Petsmart, i know not the best but i saw her and when i held her i couldn’t resist! they said she’s about 3 months because they got her last tuesday (ish don’t remember exact day but last week) and we’ve established that bebe is 1. Is she too young to do a introduction to bebe? She’s a carmel and white colored abyssinian and is absolutely adorable!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 pm

If I got a new pig from a pet store, I'd keep it in quarantine for three weeks to make sure it didn't bring any diseases or parasites home to my existing pig. Many, many pet store pigs are sold with illnesses, mites, lice, whatever.

I'd also turn them both over and compare their private parts to make sure they're the same gender. NEVER take a pet store's word for the sex of a guinea pig.

She's not too young to be introduced.

bebe_thepiggy

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am

Ok. I know Bebe is a female i checked before but let me check my new one (I’ve named her Tilly. Tilly is a female. I’m going on a vacation around July 4th and that’s about 3 weeks away so I might introduce them before i leave or when i get back? Which would be better?

bebe_thepiggy

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:49 pm

She’s been sneezing occasionally but not a lot. I think because i didn’t shake the hay before i put it in it was kinda dusty. But now she’s sneezing less. I don’t think it’s a problem but I’m not sure?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 pm

You'll have to keep an eye on her to make sure the sneezing does not indicate there is a medical issue.

bebe_thepiggy

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:03 pm

What other signs should I look for if it is a medical issue? Today the sneezing has died down. I’ve been holding her for about 30 minutes and she’s only sneezed once. I also replaced her hay last night so I think it was the dusty part of a brand new bag of hay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:39 pm

This page covers most of the issues you should regularly watch for. Changes in behavior can indicate a problem too.
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

bebe_thepiggy

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am

So she did have some eye crustys but they’re gone now? They were only there for a few days. Her sneezing has gone down A LOT the farther i’ve gotten into the hay. I’ll keep a look out for the other symptoms though. But she is still very hyper and likes to explore so she seems fine except for the occasional sneezing.

bebe_thepiggy

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:42 pm

So Bebe isn’t eating as much as she use to. It just started yesterday afternoon/night ish. Tilly is eating well though. Bebe is eating right now but I’m a little worried because she just lays in her cage and that’s it. I don’t know what to do to help her (i guess that’d be the right term).