Weepy eye - chronic unilateral

Mosey

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:02 am

I have a boar who was diagnosed with conjunctivitis in the right eye at just over 1 year old. He's now 2 1/2 and has a chronic weepy goopy eye, that never seems to drain. He's currently on Bactrim for a URI. The Vet has Diagnosed him with nasolacrimal narrowing that she believes is anatomical.This is an obstruction in the duct that drains fluid from the eye. We're also incorporating an eye drop (Tobrex). He's on fleece and I change his small fleece pads at least 3 to 4 times daily and he gets a fresh bed every night. I also use all natural soapnuts laundry detergent and no dryer sheets. I don't use any chemical cleaning products and had the furnace ducts cleaned a year ago. We also use a high end filter for the furnace. I'm frustrated because I'm doing everything I can think of to prevent future medical issues for him. He's had an eye infection and a URI in the last two months alone. Does anyone have pigs that require daily maintenance on their eye/eyes? Or thoughts on prevention. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 am

The only thing I can think of is to very very very gently massage the inside corner of his eye, just below the corner. That's where that duct is, and daily gentle massage might do something to help keep it open.

Mosey

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:44 am

Thanks very much, that's good advice. My vet recommend that as well. We started massage December 8th and he developed a bacterial corneal ulcer December 16th. I'm not sure if it moved the bacteria around or if he picked it up on an exam he had on December 8th.
She was really gentle, but was really doing a thorough exam. We weren't sure if the house was maybe too dry. I had already picked up a small humidifier and turned it to the lowest setting, and he started making a raspy "hooting noise". I opened the windows and haven't used it since. Thanks a lot for your help. It's good to know we're doing the right things to help him out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Before you massage, I would apply a warm wet compress (clean cotton cloth that is warm and wet), using that to do your massage.

Mosey

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:52 am

Thank you lynx! We tried the warm compress because not only does it help to loosen any eye crust, it can help loosen things up in the duct to promote better drainage. Due to the fact that I'm constantly ''messing'' with that eye, he doesn't tolerate it for as long as I'd like him to. I've tried doing this up to 3 times a day for several weeks with no change. My vet had determined that the duct is actually being narrowed because of the bone pressing on it causing fluid to dam up. However he's been making a hooting noise coming from his nose for the last 10 days, do I've gone back to doing the warm compress to see if there's any improvement. This noise he's making is a very scary development. He's done it the very odd time in the past, and only ever in the morning. Now he's worse in the morning, but does it all day long. I just hope that thus doesn't turn out to be one of those stories that I've read on the forum where, everyone is wracking their brains to help the owner help the piggy and in the end you read all the lovely memorial messages. I'm at a loss as to do. I've tried so many things to help him with this chronic condition over the last 1 1/2. Now he's worse than he's ever been. In the past I've only been fighting a continually weepy, crusty eye. His nose wasn't a problem. Thanks for letting me vent. I'm just terrified of loosing him. Thank you so very much for the support. You are all such an incredible group of people!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 am

If you haven't read over this page, it is worth reading:
www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

I hope he improves and lives a long life!

Mosey

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Thank you Lynx, I have read that. It's enough to scare anyone. I questioned my vet about this possibility. She told me that in his case we're lucky that only one side is being effected. His heart sounds good, no edema and lymph nodes are normal. Usually both sides are effected when the the heart is involved apparently or may even switch sides she said. We may have to do some further testing to completely rule out the heart. I'm with you though, my mind went there too. Thank you for mentioning that. I was reading something today that I want to ask my vet about. Apparently hormones can have an effect on lacrimal duct drainage. His issues started 2 months after his 1st birthday. I'm wondering if that could be triggering this as the daylight hours are changing so does the body's circadian rhythm.