Expired Terramycin

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 am

I have a tube of Terramycin that has an expiration date of 3-2015 on it. I'm not sure if it has ever been used; tube looks new, but I can't be sure it wasn't opened at some point.

Can I still use it? I have a guy with something funky going on with one of his eyes, and would like to get something on it right away.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am

I don't think it will have gone bad, but it may not be as effective as it would have been when it was fresh. I'd probably try it to see if it works.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 am

Pharmacists can often give you a knowledgeable opinion.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am

They say that antibiotics last up to 8 years +- after expiration date. 3 years should be fine. It's just harder to dose correctly, as some of the potency might get lost, and it's uncertain how much.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Thank you! As it turns out, I had a newer tube of it in the cabinet that I had forgotten I bought "just in case." I'll hold onto the older tube as a back-up, but used the newer product today. Thanks again.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:21 am

Previous guinea pigs were given Terramycin. On another forum I was told Terramycin can kill guinea pigs and that I was lucky I didn't lose my babies. So which version is true? My girls got their Terramycin via injection. I would like to know as for many years I have feared Terramycin being used on my babies again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 am

Terramycin is generally used in ophthalmic ointments (for the eye). So long as you don't put too much on and they lick it off, you should be fine.