Bee 's Medical thread

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi, again!

Either something is going through my herd or I have another pig with scurvy. She's a sow, probably a year old and fairly weak. I gave her hay to possibly boost her appetite but she won't eat the oranges I gave her (she never really liked them anyways). I'm going out to get parsley and yellow peppers ASAP, anything else you recommend? The roads to the vet are too icy to use right now, but they should clear from tomorrow's rain.

Thanks!
Edward

[Title edit - was "Weak Sow" -- Lynx]

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:05 pm

I forgot to mention she did indeed eat a bit of hay. She has cagemates, should I remove them for the time being?

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm

I gave her the yellow bell pepper and parsley, she nibbled on the parsley but ate quite a bit of the pepper. Anything else you recommend?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:14 pm

What do you feed her on a regular basis?

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:25 pm

About a third cup of Mazuri cavy diet daily, and as much water as she wants. I also give them parsley and peppers every so often, and hay.

However I just checked on her and she's breathing crackily and has eye discharge so I suppose it's a URI. I have VetRx on hand (I got it for some rabbit ear mites), will that help until the ice clears? It mentions respiratory care on the packaging.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm

They need a cup each of fresh veggies every day, and bell pepper should be fed every day. It's the best source of vitamin C you can give. Red or green leaf lettuce is another good choice.

The VetRx is useless, as well as being a waste of money. I'd get her to a vet tomorrow for sure.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 pm

Alright. I've used the Mazuri for years without problems but I'll try to source more vegetables for them. Nothing else I can do for URI in the meanwhile?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:35 pm

handfeeding.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 pm

The Mazuri isn't a bad pellet, as pellets go. A little high in calcium. Oxbow and KMS Hayloft are better, but Mazuri isn't crap like some of the others. But they need veggies for the fresh vitamins.

And there's not much to do for a URI except go to the vet. If she has trouble breathing, you could put her in the bathroom with a hot shower running and moisten the air a bit.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:21 pm

So I've quarantined her because I may have found the source of any scurvy/weakness. One of her cage mates, a 2 year old Abyssinian doe, shoved her away from the water when she tentatively went for it. I have her in a nice big carrier we converted for quarantining and she's eating some hay, all fingers crossed she can make it through the night. Thanks for all your help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:49 pm

One of her cage mates, a 2 year old Abyssinian doe,...
A doe? Female guinea pigs are called sows (a term which you used correctly earlier in the thread).

I hope separating her makes the difference! Hopefully you will be able to set up a really big cage and do proper introductions later.
www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html

I would continue to weigh daily to see if she recovers. If she is ill, you'll need to see a vet asap.

Do remember to keep posts about a single guinea pig all together in one thread.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Whoops! I meant to say sow, wonder how I didn't catch that earlier. I raise rabbits as well so that's probably where that came from.

Also, I have kept all the same threads from the same guinea pig in one post per pig, sadly the winter has claimed two others so far. Hopefully she'll get better. I'm keeping an eye on how much she eats/drinks, and trying to source a calorie supplement like CriticalCare. So far she seems to be alright.

Thanks again for all your help!