Go to the Vet, don't wait!

Tinalala

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:46 pm

So I got my GPs the beginning of Nov and by the end of Nov we noticed patchest that sent us to the vet. I had given each pig a dose of Ivermectin cuz I thought mites. A week later and the Vet thought the same and gave both a shot but noticed Chewie, our abysinian sneezing so he gave antibiotics for a URI. We added in probiotics after reading here. Days later HanSolo wasn't getting any better so we started to hand feed to watch him better. Saturday he had his chirp back so we cancelled our vet Appt and trudged thru the weekend. Sunday he was same low to move appt still being hand fed.

This am he refused his meds and any food and was very lethargic. I called the vet and went straight to ER. Hans was extremely dehydrated with low body heat. They put him on fluids, gave pain meds and warming blanket. Hours later we got word from vet that Hans is doing better. Syringe feeding. They think there's an abnormality with his jaw and possible scurvy even though we've been giving a good veggie diet.

I'm happy he's doing better. Got vitamin C supplements for Chewie who seems to be looking for his roommate.

I'm glad I called the vet today and wishes I had kept to Fridays app. Fingers crossed he continues down a positive path and returns home.

When in doubt, call the vet!

Tinalala

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 pm

UPDATE

Sadly HanSolo passed away this evening. The vet has indicated it was probably congenital or toxic from GI stasis. Barely with us for a month and we're still heartbroken. Rest in Peace HanSolo.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:20 pm

I am very sorry to hear you lost him, Tinalala. You have our sympathy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:35 pm

I'm so sorry you lost him.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:07 am

I'm sorry.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Tinalala, I'm so very sorry. There are times that inspite of all of our efforts, we fail. I include myself in that group. I lost 3 pigs in short order this year. I hope Chewie brings you some comfort and smiles.

Rest in peace, little one. You are loved and missed.