Recovery from surgery to remove abscess

pigwidgeon

Post   » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm

I adopted my guinea pig, Ricky, a 2 yr old neutered male from our local Humane Society on Veteran's Day. At my free vet appointment on Sunday, the vet noticed that he had a lump on his right side that could've been a testicle or an abscess. She suggested taking him back to the Humane Society since the lump may be the result of an incomplete neuter operation. I did so and the Humane Society took him for surgery last night. I picked him up this morning. It turned out he had an abscess, probably due to his neuter surgery, and it was removed in this second surgery. I was sent home with Baytril and nothing else. Having read detailed instructions on surgery after care on this site, I was unsettled by the Humane Society's instructions. I hoped that they would provide me with further after care supplies such as Critical Care, motility drugs, or painkillers, but when I asked about it, they didn't have anything.

I immediately called my vet clinic and the earliest I can speak to my regular vet is tomorrow. They had no exotic vets in today. Ricky is home and ate some lettuce and cucumber and drank water, but now he's resting and doesn't look great, probably in some pain. I wish I could do more to help him while I wait to see my regular vet tomorrow. For now I'm keeping him comfortable and following the rest of the instructions here for post surgery care. He is currently a lone piggy who's still being quarantined from his future cage mate, who's in a separate room. If you guys have any advice for me in the meantime, it would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:54 am

Poor little guy! It sounds like you are on top of this and know what to do, if you've read the post op page and other advice here. Pain killers are important. Did they put in a drain so you can flush it?

JX4

Post   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:21 pm

He needs pain meds. The same thing happened with our male. We neutered him and he developed an abscess. Our vet went in surgically a second time for free to remove that abscess and sent us home with more antibiotics and pain meds. We didn't have to flush for the abscess surgery. Our guy healed quickly after the second surgery and is fine.

lisam

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Baytril isn't the best antibiotic for abscesses. I usually ask for Bactrim (trimethoprim sulfa) when there's abscessing. Keep a close eye on it, because it's in an area that picks up bacteria.

Make sure he's eating more than just veggies. You can crush up some pellets and add water and syringe feed him.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1