Help! Pain or depression?

WindPiggy95

Post   » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:48 pm

Hello there, last Thursday I got my guinea pig Speedy neutered. Today is his 8th day in recovery, I want to wait a month before I put him with my girls. I'm scared though, he was doing pretty good towards the middle of his recovery (he was his normal weight and was wheeking), but now he's losing weight rapidly and isn't himself. I think he's depressed due to his isolation. He's by his old cage mate's cage, but they can't see eachother due to the difference in level. My vet perscribed meticam for 5-7 days, and Speedy's a big fighter so I quit after 5 days. He was doing okay but now he's been declining. I gave him his medicine as perscribed on the 7th day because that's when he started going downhill, and quit today in the hopes of him just being in pain. He's lost almost 200 grams and won't finish his veggies, vitimin c tabs, pellets, even carrots which he loved. Is he depressed? This is the first time he's been alone since he was a baby, his stitches are looking really good, it's the only explanation I can come up with and I dont know what to do.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 pm

200 grams is a huge amount. You must start hand feeding him now.
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Contact your vet immediately. There may be something else going on.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:20 am

Ditto Lynx. Start handfeeding, and see a vet. That sounds like an infection somewhere.

WindPiggy95

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:29 pm

We were handfeeding him and now we just left the vet's. They told me it's weird that he was acting like this now, that he's basically done healing. So now he's staying over night for an observation. He was hydrated and acting pretty normal, they were just concerned about his weight loss so they'll be watching that.