Bloat meds combo

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:08 am

Morning all!

I have a foster pig with a mild case of bloat. He's eating, drinking and acting fine. Only signs are his stomach is balloon like and his poops are wider than usual, a bit softer with a tail.

I have Metoclopromide and Zantac on hand (and he had a dose given by the vet when I took him to get some last night so it'll be in his system still) but I wonder if I can use gripe water too? It's not a med so I guess it'll be fine but thought i'd check.

I was thinking of using it as I think it's just gas that won't pass through. He's fine in all other ways and when I've had pigs with bloat before, even mild cases it tends to affect them behaviour wise, with them bein lazier or looking like they're in pain.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:34 am

I did a search in the medical forum on "gripe". The most reputable people claim it really doesn't work. Another person said it caused problems. I posted a link mentioning no evidence it helps babies and can contain sugar which could exacerbate the problem:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... e#p2275938

Do read over www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:24 am

Thanks Lynx. I'll see how the Metoclopromide and Zantac combo goes for a few days. He still seems fine, just a bit swollen and his poops are a bit off still. I'll keep him off veg for a while longer and try to massage it out of him.

I've never really used Gripe Water and after a dreadful personal experience I'll never try Simethicone again. I heard gripe water was good for reducing the gas bubble size but I'll stay away for now.