Sudden weight loss

cucuzel

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi!
My piggie is 5 and a half years old and has never had any serious health problems, apart from a weird week when he refused food without any apparent reason. I fed him for a while, he ate as long as I gave him the food, then, a week later, resumed eating on his own. He lost a little weight during that time, then put it back on.

Now, he lost weight again, but he does eat. He is enthusiastic about food, asks for his favourite treats, there is no change in his behaviour. I do not have access to a specialized vet. Is there anything I can do, should I be alarmed? He lost abiut 150 grams...

Thank you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Over what period of time did he lose the weight?

As pigs age, they do start to lose -- usually an ounce or so, then a plateau, then another ounce or so, then another plateau, etc. If it's occurring over several weeks or months, it's probably part of the aging process. You could feed him a few rolled oats in with his pellets, but it's unlikely that he'll regain much of the weight.

If it's over a shorter period of time, there may be something else going on. Hyperthyroidism can cause a pig to lose weight, as can several other diseases.

cucuzel

Post   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you for your answer.
It did happen over the course of 2 months. I'll try the oats and see how it goes.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:31 pm

I'll try the oats and see how it goes.
I have found with my girls they had trouble with oats or it made no difference to their weight. But it may work for your fur-child. Has he had his mouth examined? His teeth may need filing. I have never had a male, well not since childhood so I'm not sure if males have hormone problems.

I know most human men do, and when we had rabbits our boys did. Could you go to a normal vet and perhaps they could get in touch with a piggy savvy vet from another country? When our Zoe was ill, our vet from Australia emailed a piggy savvy vet in England. The England vet told her what to do and what to examine and our vet would email her back with results or pictures if X-rays were taken.

Is he fluffed up? Does he dribble or drop food when he eats? Does he spend more time laying down and being quiet? Maybe these can help? https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html And https://www.guinealynx.info/search_weightloss.html Would he have an infection of some kind?

I was in the same boat as you with Jemma and Jasmine till they passed on, they started at age 6 months old and now I am going through it with Jan, she started at age 3. They all lost weight in the warmer weather-Spring to Summer. They would put some back on in cooler weather but never all of what they lost. Except when Jemma and Jasmine were babies they would put back all they lost and more.

Hoping you find out what is wrong with your piggy. Sending healing vibes your way. These little critters are never easy to find out what is wrong with them. Not for the first time I wish I was Dr Dolittle. Now that would be something!

cucuzel

Post   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks so much for your answers...
My piggy has absolutely no change in behaviour or appearance. He is very enthusiatic about food and his favourite treats. Maybe it' s related to old age? I'm trying to feed him as much hay and nutritious food as I can...
I hope your piggies ( or rabbits) are ok...
I so much appreciate your input.
Would be nice to be Dr. Dolittle...

adorolecavie

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:16 am

I've experienced something very similar with my girl Dory. I thought at first it might be diabetes, but the vet ruled that out as well as any thyroid or serious kidney problems, and her teeth were fine. (That's the first thing to check and even a vet who's not super experienced with exotics should at least be able to check his teeth to see if there are any problems there.)

So I totally understand your predicament and wish you and your piggy the best of luck. I've been supplementing with Critical Care slurry and that has seemed to help her stop dropping weight (she also lost 150 grams) and stabilise. Do you have access to Critical Care or can you order it online?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:11 pm

As far as checking teeth, it is not as simple as just looking at them. A vet experienced with dental care is invaluable. Malocclusion can require dental xrays to diagnose properly.