Guinea Pig Lump under Chin neck area

cucuzel

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:03 pm

He’s missing one of his lower incisors, his upper incisors seem to be overgrown. The missing incisor is not the result of an accident, it was extracted by the vet. He’s eating well and seems just fine, I would just like to avoid a new problem with his molars; this is why I would like to post a pic, maybe someone could take a more educated look.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:45 pm

The teeth should compensate but you would watch to make sure none of them overgrow.

cucuzel

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Piggie’s doing great. The other seemed to have a similar problem. Turned out to be just inflamation, the vet advised against seed mixes and even oat flakes. She didn’t say I should exclude them completely, but I find that oat flakes help them put on weight. The vet said the flakes turn into some kind of paste which sticks to their teeth. Why is this unadvisable? What can I do to help them put on weight, without the seeds or flakes..?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:21 pm

I've never been big on oats (though some people give them to guinea pigs they are trying to put weight on). Seeds have their own issues.

Overall, I agree with your vet.

It is tough when you don't have many alternatives (if you were in the states, I'd recommend Oxbow Critical Care as an amendment to add calories to your guinea pig's diet). Many pellets do have oats in them.

Kimera

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 am

There may be equivalents of Critical care formula for guinea pigs available in Romania. Look for Alfavet products from the Rodi Care line. If not, you can always import rescue formulas from Poland. I particularly recommend Dr. Ziętek's formulas.