Sneezing - vet does not want to treat

AyaMcCabre

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:56 am

I have two sneezing guinea pigs. Pippa is a foster aged about ten weeks, Ginny is mine and aged about nine months. Both are acting normally other than sneezing. The third pig in that setup is fine.
I took Pippa to the vet for her sneezing two weeks ago. He said it was probably a URI but declined to treat as she was acting normally. It has not gotten better, and now Ginny has started sneezing. There are only two guinea pig savvy vets here, both at the same clinic. Is it worth taking them to the other one? Is it normal for them to just leave a URI if it hasn't become life threatening? He seems to be waiting for them to go downhill, and I'm concerned that if that happens they'll die before treatment can work. We lost a rabbit recently and had less than 48 hours from first symptom to last breath. I don't want that to happen to my herd.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 am

Have you changed anything like hay? Is your hay dusty? 2 of my girls sneeze too and vet can't see up there noses so for now is not treating them. Going back to your babies is there any discharge? If so what colour?

Hoping this link will help you. https://www.guinealynx.info/search_sneezing.html Are you weighing the piggies regularly? Are they eating normally? Are they indoor or outdoor piggies?

Sorry you lost your bunny. RIP little buns run free in perfect health till you meet again. I would weigh piggies and keep a close eye on them for any changes. Forgot to asl are they sneezing all the time? Is it a wet sneeze or a dry one? Are there any other symptoms? Like crusty eyes?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:31 am

Ditto Daisymay. Especially if you are seeing other signs.

If you do not have access to any other vets (see if you can find a better vet), I would call up the vet clinic, ask to speak with one of the vets who treats guinea pigs, tell him/her of any additional signs of illness and that a second guinea pig has started to sneeze frequently, and that you know that an untreated respiratory infection is deadly. Explain your concern with waiting until it is even more serious. Get the vet to agree to provide antibiotics for you before wasting time with another visit. You may need them to be seen again to get the antibiotics.

If you are not doing so now, start weighing them all daily to see if they are eating well enough. Weight loss is a clear sign of illness.
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html