I trimmed the hair around it to hopefully prevent the hair matting and scabbing to the wound. It wasn't bleeding much, so I flushed it with saline from a syringe since the cut is open, and applied rubbing alcohol, then betadine, then coconut oil (am out of neosporin and wanted to attempt to disinfect the wound).
Three hours later I went to check on the wound again (this is the time I took the above picture), I noticed some blood down lower in her coat. I trimmed more hair down around that and discovered another side to the puncture that I hadn't noticed before.
Looks like the pig's teeth met in the middle- as I cleaned the second one I discovered that if I syringed saline into the top hole, it dribbles out the bottom. So I flushed it again. I think it had to have been flushed through a little bit the first time I cleaned it, as I was squirting fairly directly into the hole. Obviously since I didn't know about the bottom wound, I didn't see it so I can't be sure. But I flushed fairly thoroughly this time, moved a good amount of saline through the wound, and then applied the same alcohol/betadine/coconut oil treatment again.
Now that I know the wound is much larger than I originally thought, I'm not super sure that it's not a vet-worthy wound. I was planning on continuing to treat it this way and taking her in if I noticed signs of infection setting in, but wanted to run it past the medical forum just in case...
The vet gave us some Bactrim. So I've just started her on that, which does give me a little peace of mind about it. Especially since it's all closed up this morning already. I'll just continue rinsing the outside of the wound- still looks pretty good this morning, no more inflammation on the skin around it. Here's a photo (pardon the Betadine stain):
I'll be monitoring her poops and will start her on poop soup if they start to be irregular.
Feel free to add my pics! Thank you!
Fortunately my second choice vet's office is open on Saturdays. I'm not a *huge* fan of the vet that's in today, not that he's a bad vet or anything, just that I suspect it's a "vet that sees exotics, not vet specializing in exotics" kind of situation with him- the exotics vet that I like at that practice wasn't in today. So here I am. He advised to just keep an eye on it over the weekend since it was just a few drops and the urine/feces/activity are normal. His thinking is that it doesn't sound like an emergency, and may have just been a small exterior injury and thus a fluke. I'm probably planning on doing that and then calling first choice vet on Monday morning to get their opinion as well.
With the more concerning causes of blood coming from that area, it's more constant than just a few drops right? Or is there not really a 'standard' of how much blood is more concerning? She is a long-haired pig and though I try to keep her buttfur trimmed it does get too long sometimes, so UT/RT infection definitely jumped into my mind. And stones of course, which can be very frightening very quickly.
Unrelated side note: Last month or so, we realized that Lily is deaf. Not sure if she's always been- she can see when the other pigs react to auditory cues and go with them when I come to bring in treats, so we might have just not realized. I am pretty sure this is not concerning unless it occurs alongside head tilt so I have not done anything about it but wanted to make a note of it anyway.
This evening I found her again having produced a similar amount of blood. Notably, she appears to have passed a few globs of bloody mucus- I assume this is the cervical plug (the amount is consistent with that) and that the issue is reproductive after all. She again still seems bright enough- she's begun showing her age so she isn't exactly popcorning around, but she is mobile and eating- caught her chewing the plastic on the litterbox so I expect she is probably not feeling great, but I think it is not 'emergency vet' bad. Going to call the vet in the morning of course, hopefully they're still taking walk-ins during all the pandemic shenanigans, but also wanted to post here- if nothing else, it at least helps to muse "out loud", as it were.
I am guessing a recurring infection is still possible? So it might be worth trying another round of antibiotics- last time we did a 7 day course of Bactrim (they overfilled the bottle a bit so it ended up actually being 8/9 days or so). Maybe a longer dose this time? I am also guessing though that the more likely scenario here is ovarian/uterine/etc cancer or cysts. If that is the case, I am not willing to go through with a spay. I know some people have spayed older guinea pigs successfully, but with Lily my gut says it's not a good idea and I'm going to trust that. Hormone treatments for cysts.... maybe? I've not gotten the impression that they're a very dependable option. I feel that probably the best thing to do for Lily if this isn't something that can be fixed with antibiotics is palliative care. But I suppose we'll see.
I think for Lily it would be more stressful for her if I took her somewhere to be euthanized- at this point I don't think there's anything that can be done to cure her. I scrapped the CC idea and just started offering her bits of lettuce- she took a few, so maybe she's not as bad as I thought? Though the lack of voracious devouring leads me to think her time is imminent. She's very timid and at the bottom of the social ladder in the herd, so I have her sectioned off by herself in the cage so the other pigs are near and she's not alone, but they're also not able to harass her for the lettuce bits I'm leaving her. Hopefully that's what she'd prefer right now. I'm going to resist the urge to hold and pet her since she's always hated being touched. Going to offer lettuce throughout the night and check on her every quarter to half hour until she's passed. If she makes it till morning, I'll call the vet and see if they think any differently (and maybe get her some metacam in case that might help). I think. I hope I'm doing right by her. :(
I guess I'll change the cage too in case it's an infection? Is a UTI or endometriosis contagious to my other pigs, if that's what it is? I guess this is a question I can call my vet about in the morning, my brain is just kind of all over the place right now, sorry. Got a colicky newborn to care for on top of this, life is crazy.