Guinea Pig losing weight steadily!!! Help!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:47 am

Thyroid? Cannoli had loose stools from time to time, otherwise seemed healthy (although a bit anxious all the time) and ate a ton, yet still lost weight. Did they check for thyroid - I think it's T4 - with the last blood draw?

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 am

That is a huge amount of weight. I am so sorry she is having these difficulties.

I had posted a link to www.guinealynx.info/.html Assuming you read it, did you see any signs of possible malocclusion? Have you been able to stabilize her weight at any point? Does she continue to lose weight in the most recent couple of weeks? What does she weigh now? The xrays, were any dental xrays?

rrocks

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:21 pm

She now weighs about 850 grams. The xrays did include dental xrays and they found nothing significant.

I'm really sad, because if she continues to lose weight at this rate, I don't think she will make it past Xmas. I'm not sure what to do. I love this guinea pig. I don't think I'm ready to lose her.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:03 am

Sorry to hear about your pigs continued weight loss despite the various vet visits. It looks like you and your vet have been thorough.

I too had a sow that continued to lose weight which my vets (from 2 different clinics as I wanted a 2nd opinion) and despite x-rays etc were unable to pin point the problem.

Not sure if you have ruled out thyroid as Pooksied has mentioned. For my sow, I suspected either issues with her liver as she was eating well or her adrenal gland which my vet claimed that adrenal disease (e.e cushings) was not really prevalent in pigs.

In the end, I keep her going - she was 770g but dropped over time to 630g for close to 2 years with additional feedings of critical care twice a day and into which I added herbal supplements for liver and the adrenal gland. At least I manage to stabilise did her weight and the loss in weight did happen more gradually.

She had been losing 10-15g every 2-3 days. Her finally passed away earlier this year and she was about 6 to 6.5 yrs old.

Hang in there and to keep your pig's weight up, add in a supplemental feed or 2 a day of critical care.

All the best and keep us posted on how she's doing.

portera4242

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 am

did she get better?