Zilly's medical thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 pm

For a less knowledgeable owner I'd say vet trip. For you, my gut hunch is that the impaction/smegma buildup made him miserable and as soon as it was gone, he felt 100% better. Guinea pigs look and feel disproportionately miserable when they are dehydrated; I suspect the Pedialyte helped as much as the Critical Care did.

I think I'd keep him separated out maybe one more night, then reintroduce. Make sure he's eating, drinking, and behaving normally. You've probably already figured this out, but set a schedule to check for impaction and smegma buildup regularly. It sounds as if he'll need regular cleaning.

You could also call your vet and ask them just what you just asked here (just read them your post, it's very clear) and ask them to confirm or deny.

Weigh daily for a little bit, make sure he regains the weight he lost.

Good luck and I really hope it's a one-off.

Edit: is he still chewing at his back end? If so => course of ivermectin. But if he's not, it was probably because of the discomfort down there from the impaction/smegma.

Sparklederp

Post   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks for responding, Talishan.

He's doing great as long as I clean him out regularly, but I suspect that he's still uncomfortable because he's inactive (not lethargic, still alert, but doesn't leave his hide often). He's actually developing bumblefoot on both of his hind feet. There's a red open sore on one foot and a pink blister on the other. I'm continuing the SMZ/TMP to combat the bumblefoot and working on keeping his feet clean and dry, but I think a vet visit might be in order next week because the inactivity is worrying me.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:47 am

Have his heart checked. I'm getting a gut hunch he may be a heart pig.

Are you soaking his feet as well? He may need Baytril for any foot infection. :-/

Good luck. This is an awful lot to deal with at once. I am sending you energy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:52 am

And if you haven't read it:
www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

Sparklederp

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:48 pm

I have Enalapril from when Corki was sick, and possibly Lasix. Should I trial him on either of those?

There's no hooting or respiratory distress like Corki had.

I am soaking the feet and keeping them clean. Hoping that this doesn't turn out to be anything chronic, but...

Sparklederp

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:52 pm

I also made the call to separate him from the main herd so he's not competing for food on top of feeling under the weather. He typically lives in a herd of 7, although at the time he got sick 2 of his cagemates were isolated. It gets a little crazy with that many boars so I feel like he will be more comfortable this way, and I can monitor his poop and food intake more closely now.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:47 am

Without more evidence of heart compromise I wouldn't trial either enalapril or Lasix, but do ask the vet about it and check for heart enlargement when you see them imo.

Lasix is a powerful drug, and enalapril has more potential side effects than benazepril.

Without reading back, is he the pig that got a split on the skin of his foot? If so, it makes me wonder if he has chronic dry or thickened skin on his feet. Musing out loud here.

Please keep us posted. Hope he's doing better.

Sparklederp

Post   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 am

Yep, he's the same pig that split the skin on his foot last year. Good call, maybe I need to be diligent with foot care on this one. He's always been obese so I imagine that might contribute to foot problems.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:38 am

Putting all a guinea pig's medical issues on one thread is very important. I am surprised Talishan remembered. You might want to add a short medical history here, covering all the issues he has had and only post new issues on this thread.

Sparklederp

Post   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 pm

That info is on the first page of this thread already. I've never posted about him anywhere but this thread.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 pm

Ooops. I thought this was the first page (embarrassed emoji).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:31 am

(embarrassed emoji) Lol Lynx! :-)