Fuzzbutt's Medical

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm

I also ordered Oasis Vita Drops (high potency daily multivitamins) per our vet. I know I'm not supposed to put it in the water, so I thought I'd just sprinkle some on their pellets. Thoughts? At the time, the pigs were only getting lettuce for a veggy. This last week though, I've added back in all the usual "suspects" - tomato, bell pepper, carrots, and the (very seldom) kale. Should I not bother with the vitamins now?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 pm

So glad you saw improvement! I hope it continues! I would contact them about your questions. That's where I got the dose information. It may be that you can taper it or maintain at a lower dose (don't know). Or you may be able to quit altogether. You will know if it is working or not.

I believe the most important ingredient is bentonite (could be wrong). Bentonite is cool as it absorbs liquids and has many uses.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:37 am

So glad she had a clean night. Paws crossed it will continue. Hugs to fuzzy from me and the down under girls. Keep up the good work and Fuzzy eat your medicine like a good girl. So glad she likes lettuce!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Hahahaha! Naturally last night she refused to eat all of the lettuce/Bio-Sponge. We think feeding it to her when she's hungry might make the difference. Last night was *after* dinner. We'll try again later this morning with the AM dosage.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Lynx, this is the response I received from Platinum - makers of the Bio-Sponge:
Dear Julie,

I am sorry about the delay in response and to hear about your guinea pig. We recommend that you try it for 7 days, and within the 7 days you should notice a difference if not the Bio-Sponge is not targeting that cause of the diarrhea. If you are noticing a difference in the stool you want to continue until the diarrhea goes away and then give just one more dosage. If the Bio-Sponge dose work but without it the guinea pig does go back to having loose stool again then you can give it as a daily product.
In regards to dosing the recommend dosage is 1/4cc (0.25) twice daily for that body weight. How long have you been giving this dosage ? You can do a slow progression of adding another 1/4cc daily so your giving 1/4 cc 3 times daily.

Thank you,

Lucca Rockhold

Platinum Advisor Team

800-553-2400 157

805.693.8682 fax

www.platinumperformance.com

I don't know if you want to add any part (or all) of their recommendations to the Bio-Sponge page.

I've probably been underdosing Fuzz, but now feel confident enough to give her the same amount but to do so 3 times a day, instead of twice daily, since she's still producing large sticky poops (but not the very messy ones she had been making). Today is Day 4 of giving her the Bio-Sponge.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:58 pm

I mentioned in the email you sent me with this info (thanks for posting it) that I'd like to get permission from them (if you can send me her email) to add this advice.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:30 pm

When I first emailed them, I did mention that I thought GL would probably like to use some of the information, since it could help so many, but "you got what I got", my dear. :o) If you can get closer with any of that information, I'm sure someone somewhere would really appreciate it. Feel free to use my real name and info, since they already have that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Still working for you?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 am

Yes. Still a little messy but it may take a day or two for the higher dose to really kick in. She's getting the lower end of the dosage right now (I think).

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:27 am

Fuzzbutt's messy stools are gone! The worst messes I find now are dry and crumbly. I'm not sure if it's the Bio-Sponge, since I've also switched pellets but I think it is. And it's amazing how easily she takes it!

I've also switched them all to Mazuri pellets on vet's suggestion. I may go back to KMS since I have so much of them - probably 5 pounds left of a 10 pound bag. I'll do it it slowly so I can watch Fuzz closely for changes.

I'll keep you all updated as to how much she gets on a daily basis (yes, I'm pretty sure it will become a part of her daily diet). So far, she's still on the 3xdaily dose.

I've become a true believer in Bio-Sponge!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 pm

That is great! I am so glad for you and Fuzzbutt!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:09 am

New question: How active should Fuzz be at 4.5 years old? These days I've noticed she doesn't move much except at meal times. She and Dusty both have to really investigate the stuff I'm cleaning up before I put food down. (Dusty must think blue is a food, because she constantly has to bite and pull on the little dustpan I use.) When I put the food down, she plows right in. That is the only time I see her active though. She no longer eats until it's all gone, as she used to do. Dusty is the cleanup pig now. Fuzz is always hiding in or behind one of the two hideys I give them for the day. She doesn't even run much when I need to pick her up for the Bio-Sponge.

Fuzz has had pain from arthritis since she was a little over 1 year old. I try not to give her the Buprenorphine too often. She can't tolerate Medicam at all. Should I go ahead and give her a daily dose or two of the Buprenorphine or will this hasten liver problems (as I suspect Meticam did to Peek's kidneys)? Fuzz is headed for 5 years old now.

She dropped a lot of weight over the last year when so many of her companions passed away, but it seems to have stabilized at around 1050 grams (down from an average of 1300 when she lived with Scatter and they played and ran a LOT - that was last July & August) She started dropping weight rapidly after she lost Scatter. No one else ever played with her like he did. Not even the babies interest her (babies no longer!).

So, daily Buprenorphine or no?