Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:39 am

She is likely not maintaining weight because she's not eating any pellets. Veggies and hay alone won't allow her to gain. How old is the bag of pellets? Have you tried mixing in a small amount of a new brand with the current brand to see if there's any interest?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:57 am

Sometimes with age there is a small decline in weight. Is she feeling thinner? Bonier? I think you have read the guidelines on good weights on this page, no?
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:43 pm

When I pick her up she feels lighter. She's not feeling bonier yet! The bag of Oxbow pellets last for 2 weeks with 5 girls so didn't think that that was too old?
When I want pellets I have to order in from vet, use by date says on packet November 2022. I changed her pellets last night and nope just ignored them. She ate all of her food and some Timothy hay and meadow hay!

I bought some cat grass seeds and am going to plant them today, this will make 12 pots, so hoping that grass will help her. I have 8 pots currently all of different lengths for her.

It's strange you know she use to love her pellets and now won't touch them. Do you think it may be teeth issues? I mean she has been on same pellets for 5 years. It's either Oxbow or rabbit pellets it's all we get here. Though Oxbow did change the name from Cavy Cuisine to adult guinea pig food.

I am wondering whether Jaffa was too bossy and only let Jill eat pellets? Tried to pair Jill with Jay and Jersey last night and it was World War 3 between Jersey and Jill, Jay hid under the hay as she must remember as a baby Jill really told her off. Jersey wasn't going for Jill she's just to silly to take the hint, she loves following other pigs around. Will keep an eye on Jill and weigh regular and if she continues to lose weight will take to the vet. Thanks for the replies Sef and Lynx!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:27 pm

Sometimes having someone to fight over food makes you eat more. I have noticed some people having their guinea pigs lose interest in a particular pellet. I wish we could sprinkle the pellets with magic dust so they would be irresistible.

I would watch to see if there are any other issues before assuming it is teeth. You are very observant and I am sure will notice.
https://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks for the reply Lynx and advice. Jill is still losing weight around 10 grams per day. Since March 3rd 2020 she has lost 75grams. I weigh around the same time ever day.

I was wondering if I should start hand feeding a few times a day as a supplement and see if this helps her and her declining weight. To be honest I think she is her own worse enemy, I think she is lonely since her sister Jaffa passed. BUT every pig we have we have tried to pair her with and it has been WW3.

She is currently sleeping where her pen touches Jay's and Jersey's pen. I guess I could try again to pair her up but it means splitting a pair. Or if I went for a threesome it would be two against one. Like I said 5 piggies are enough and would hate to get a 6th if it fell through. I mean we got Jersey as a friend for her but to Jill Jersey was lunch. Any advise much appreciated.

I have bought a stuff toy guinea pig waiting for it to come. Not sure if it will help though. The two pens are touching I would have thought Jill would be happy with that but she's not. If we try introductions the girls fly at each other, except Jay who hides under hay too scared to move and Jersey who is too stupid to run when bit she just wants to be friends. Thanks guys, off to bed now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:08 pm

Yes, I think supplementation could help. You having her near the other guinea pigs should help a lot.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:17 am

We are living in fear Jill is going down the same path as her sister Jaffa who passed December 2nd 2019. To summarise Jaffa had URI August 2019, put on to Bactrim did nothing so went onto Doxy. Cleared up. But from the time she went off Doxy to her passing her poops were quite mushy. She lost a lot of weight. Had teeth filed but made no difference. Found tongue trapped and even had a hole in it. How did vet miss it first time they sedated Jaffa to look in her mouth??? She was sedated three times before they found tongue trapped and had a hole in it.

Jill like Jaffa has gone off her food and having small weight lost. We think we picked it up early as was weighing 3 times a week incase she was missing her sister.

Took Jill to the vet Friday, she couldn't see in Jill's mouth due to Critical Care. But was told to bring back if losing weight and/or gone of her food. Syringe feeding Critical Care which she greatfully took but now she eats it slowly.

So today took Jill back as in 2 days she had gone off 85% of her food and lost 57grams. Vet sedated her and said teeth looked good, NO sharp spurs. So she asked if she could take bloods so I said yes. If they come back normal will have to take her down town and pay $977.00 for dental X-rays and then for any procedures need doing plus a $285.00 fee for walking in the door-consult fee.

I will ask when pick Jill up whether tongue was trapped or any swelling in mouth like Jessie. Jill is still at the vet waiting for them to ring so we can pick her up. I do however think husband is home from getting tyre checked. Will keep you posted and thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

We lost Jolly the rabbit under 3 years old August 1st 2019. Jaffa the piggy 2 weeks short of 5 years old December 2nd 2019. Then Joy the piggy 2 weeks after turning 7 years old 13th January 2020. Can't bear the thought of losing Jill too.
Does anyone think it might be the house? Moved July 2018, Lost Jan piggy November 27th 2018 4 weeks before turning 5 years old and then the above mentioned. Thanks again!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:47 am

Okay, Jill is home again. They couldn't get any blood as it seems she has too much fat under her chin. So as usual she has been put onto AB'S-Bactrim for a week. If no better or worse could try getting blood again or go down town for X-rays and maybe dental.

As to Jaffa's tongue 4 vets on VIN said her teeth and tongue looked normal. Yet it was found to have a hole in it. If Jill doesn't improve will ask vet to try VIN. BUT better vets. Keep you posted. Does anyone have a vet that ours could contact? By the way this vet doesn't have proper X-ray machine.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:14 pm

That's a lot of little furries lost in a fairly short time. I'm so sorry.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Thank-you Bookfan! I am wondering whether it was the shock of moving! Jan and Joy were in our own home for 4 years. Jaffa for 3 years(Jill too). Jolly the rabbit only 18 months.

But when you live in Government housing if they say jump you have to say how high! I tried everything I could to stay in old home. Their reasoning was houses built prior and during 1968 cheaper to demolish than repair. When in reality the reason was asbestos in the eaves.

I have depression and many other things and the old house was the first home I felt safe in. But the government didn't care! We were in that house 4 weeks short of 30 years. To them it was a house to us it was a home!

Touching wood, Jill seems a little better today and is eating. So keep your paws crossed! Thanks again Bookfan!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Crossing fingers for her!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:29 am

Daisymay you and your family have been through a lot. I hope things improve and this house becomes home. You always take such good care of your furry family.