Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Perhaps you can get some ideas from the heart page (it contains all the info I found).
www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

A nebulizer might help if there is chest congestion.

Unfortunately, I am just throwing things out there. I do not have a medical background and this is not an area I have experience with.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:57 am

Saw Danielle today with Jaffa, she said it is a upper infection ie: Throat, nose, mouth. I refused Baytril and she is on excuse spelling Trisbrisian (Bactrim) tablets 1.5 tablets twice a day, Protextin, fed Critical Care. She is to go back Wednesday this time to see Carol and may require chest X-ray. Thanks for the reply Lynx and GrannyJul, will keep you posted will look into a nebuliser. She refused point blank on the heart meds saying heart was clear no fluids could be heard, beat was strong and no mur murs. I HATE our vets! All vets here are the say. We're so in the dark ages!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:39 am

Gentomycin is a drug that can safely be used in a nebulizer for URIs that are hard to treat.

An xray would help to show if her analysis is correct regarding her heart.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:17 am

I know this is a damn silly question but can someone please tell me what 1 point 5 tablets twice a day means? Is it one and a half or 1 tablet and a fifth? Totally confused. There has been no change in Jaffa's condition after there dosages of the AB. One thing we have done is stop the handfeeding. It was stressing her out, she was breathing worse, she didn't like it and when I felt her she was shaking. Why hand-feed her if she is eating 95% of her food and some of Jill's and maintaining weight? If someone can let me know what one point 5 tablets a day means it would be a great relief for us and then we would know she is getting the proper dose. Can't ask the vet as tomorrow is Monday but a public holiday. Thanks in advance and thanks Lynx.

Would this one be any good or would the vet have one I could borrow? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Ul ... kQCrq80crg Or would breathing the steam from a boiling saucepan do the same thing?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:06 am

1.5 tablets would be one and a half tablets.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:05 am

Don't use steam from a saucepan. It's very hot, and can hurt your pig. Nebulizers produce a cool mist, so there's no danger from the heat.

My vet has nebulizers that he lends out, but you'd have to ask your vet. We have no way of knowing whether your vet does the same.

And yes, that nebulizer will work. You'll probably have to fasten it to the side of the box so the pig can't knock it over.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Ditto everyone. Nebulizers would be safer. For some reason I was drawing a blank when she said "one point five" pills. But 1.5 being 1 pill and a half of a pill makes perfect sense.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:13 pm

If Jaffa has a URI I am at a lost! She only makes the bubbly/crackling noise when being handled or eating. Other times she's perfectly normal. We are trying hard not to stress her out by handling as this is how Jemma, Jupiter and Jasmine passed. They started gasping for air, went limp and were gone, making the fish like movement with their mouths. Jaffa has same symptoms as the other 3 and it really scares us! Jemma lasted 2 months and vets had no idea, Jupiter was gone in 2 weeks(Jaffa's biological sister, she was only two) and Jasmine lasted 4 weeks and still vets had no idea. I wanted autopsy and the reply I got why waste money when an autopsy would only show what they died off. Then I get if autopsy done the pathologist would NOT return the body. Why are we in the dark ages? Why must piggies suffer under the hands of vets who should be helping them?
I will ask Carol Wednesday about Nebuliser and the drug Lynx mentioned. I did start giving Jaffa one and a half tablets but it seemed so much I went back to one twice a day. Maybe I should go back to one and a half? 3 days on AB's no improvement so far. Still eating 95% of food and some of Jill's bowl too.
Would her condition have to do with stress? Which we believe killed the other three. We believe they hyperventilated and suffered panic attack and they stopped breathing. Why do you all think?
Thanks for the replies Lynx, PooksiedAnimals and bpatters. Much appreciative of the advise given. Wish our vet was as helpful! Many thanks to you all!
If vet gives me Gentomycin how much and how often. Can't expect vet to know. Jaffa is 1272grams and maintaining weight so far. The only symptoms she has is bubbly/cracking breathing other wise she is fit as a fiddle.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:32 pm

I believe pbatters has used a nebulizer. Hopefully she can suggest a dose.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:00 am

Jaffa has been on AB now for 4.5 days, took her to the vet and she had mucus running poops(more mucus than poops). The bubbly/crackly breathing has stopped. So for now she is off the AB's(Bactrim) and on Protexin twice daily till it clears. Poor Ian(I have bung knees) had to climb play pen again and throw out the fresh hay and put white towels on top of the vetbed then put fresh hay down to see if she still has the mucus poops. She has been on Protexin once a day since she's been on AB's. She is bright, eating, peeing it is now just her poops. Carol is confused as Bactrim is suppose to be gentler on a piggy's tummy, so looks like Jaffa has a more sensitive tummy.
So for now watching the poops and if bubbly/crackly breathing comes back. I am confused as to why there is say 85% mucus and 15% poop? Will keep you posted .

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 am

Okay, vet thinks Jaffa has a URI so she prescribed antibiotics. But she said something strange to me that after years of having guinea pigs made me wonder.

I asked her with the antibiotics do I keep up the Protexin-a Probiotic. She said NO! she said an antibiotic kills good and bad bugs(I knew that) so she said give antibiotics 5 days then 5 days of Probiotics. To do this before(Protexin) is just a waste of time.

I am curious have I after all these years been doing it wrong? I have been giving Antibiotics and Probiotics together just hours apart. What do you do?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 am

All sources that I've ever seen over the years suggest giving probiotics roughly 60-90 after antibiotics, and this is always what I have done as well.