possible urine scald

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Makes perfect sense, Delaine.

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:30 pm

I bought beautiful red leaf lettuce last night, and I am so happy with it. No more worrying about spinach in their spring mix! : )

I am actually really happy with the brita water filter, even for myself. My boyfriend and I even compared tap water and the brita water, It tasted so much better it wasn't even funny. Thank you guys for that!

Delaine, I also think along those lines. I feel like moving your body helps move everything around, i.e. bowels, ect. The issue is when I get her out for floor time, she does not. NOT. want to move. Everyone else(3 pigs) are usually doing zoomies or put-putting around. She'll just sit there. I'm not quite sure how to get her moving. On a very rare occasion she will do zoomies, but that is only about 1 time a week.

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Oh, man. We bought unsweetend cranberry juice for ginger. I love cranberry blends so I thought I'd take a big swig of it.

So after I was done dying, I realized that i don't know how much to give her a day. I mixed 1/4 cup cranberry juice with 1/4 cup water. I gave her 2 1/2 CC's of mixture. So, how much should i be giving her a day?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm not a water expert either, Talishan. Where I come from (SE Alaska) hard water always meant a lot of iron. Of course, no one I know has ever had guinea pigs so the subject of too much calcium was never an issue. :o)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:54 am

Delaine, the snow globe analogy is excellent and a good way to visualize it.

Meganmarie -- does she like the water/cranberry mix? If she likes it, I'd guess that several cc's daily would be fine (maybe 10 or 15, but that's just a guess; see what others say). If she hates it -- don't force it. It's not worth the stress and the risk of aspiration.

Without reading back, how old is she? Has she been examined and/or x-rayed for arthritis and/or heart compromise? Some pigs are more active than others, but for her to be that inactive makes me wonder if something else is going on.

meganmarie

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:38 pm

No, she hates it. I've been force feeding it to her, about 2 CC's a day.

She's a little over 2 years old. She has had x-rays and everything was fine. I was just saying that she gets spooked when we have floor time. She is really extra uncomfortable with not being in the cage. She is really shy, and likes to be hidden. She runs up and down our cage all day(it's a 2 level, and has a ramp).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:54 am

If it were me -- if she hates the dilute juice, drop it. The risk of aspiration from forcing a liquid far outweighs the questionable possible benefit of giving cranberry juice.

That's my opinion only; others may have had more success with it than I have. But it seems to help humans far more than it helps pigs.

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:41 pm

It's funny because she just genuinely hates anything out of a syringe. I should've been giving her water or something since she was young out of a syringe. I only ever gave her a syringe once she started having issues, so i think she relates it to medicine. And medicine=yucky. I say this because i have another little girl named Honey and she will pretty much slurp down anything you give to her in a syringe, because when she was a baby she was underweight and underfed, so I syringed her critical care and liquid vitamin C. Oh, pigs. Thank you for being so prompt in your answers, guys. You're always so helpful.

I've also been researching a little. I'm unsure, but i think Ginger might be a silkie...? Everyone else has wiry, normal guinea pig hair. She is very sleep and shiny, and doesn't have the same hair texture as everyone else.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Or a satin. Can you post a picture of her?

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:31 pm

Oops. Yes, satin. : ) Photobucket is killing my computer for some reason right now, and it has my pictures of her on there. I don't know why it's giving me issues. I'll get them up, it's just freaking taking forever.

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:26 am

Action style Ginger-pig photo : )

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:35 am

Why...am I on the hardwood floor, mom.