Conversions help please

Nicole

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:34 pm

Ok, lets try posting this again....

Dealing with a few sick pigs of my own right now I dont have the time to help figure this out. Would it be possible for someone to help? Please?

Thanks,
Nicole

Dosage suggested is 15 mg´s per pig twice a day, but, the packet doesnt state how to get such a small dose and I have no idea how to mix it properly. Vet is an idiot, for lack of a better word, and is of literally no help.

From the packet:

Each pound contains 25g of tetracycline hydrochloride activity. This packet contains 10 g of tetracycline hydrochloride activity.
Net wt. of the packet is 6.4 OZ (181 g)

Mixing Instructions:
6.4 oz (the whole bag) will make 100 Gallons containing 100 MG of tetracycline/gal
50 gal containing 200 mg of tet./gal
25 gal containing 400 mg of tet/gal
12.5 gal containing 800 mg of tet/gal

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:44 pm

Yes, I´ve noticed sometimes things don´t post right. Glad you still had the info to add.

Yes, it sounds like a pain. How many pigs are you treating? What kind of measuring things do you have? Do you have an ounce scale for postage? Are you planning on treating them individually? Sure you couldn´t get bactrim which is easily measureable and quite reasonably priced?
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicole

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:09 pm

Ok, she´s treating 4 pigs. One at a time. She has measuring spoons, syringes and cups, but, no scale. Her vet wont give her bactrim. Tetracycline was all he had on hand.

imanut4u

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:38 pm

Might want to read this thread: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/threa ... &boardid=2

03/21/2002, 10:29 AM

Josephine
Miss Smarty Pants

Tetracyclines can cause many GIT problems, including the diarrhea seen with the imbalance of flora in the cecum. It should be used with extreme caution (if at all) and under the supervision of a reputable veterinarian. I do not know of any good cavy vets in my area who will Rx any tetracycline drug as a first choice, although the class is good for upper respiratory conditions and some cultured microbes....

...I still caution anyone giving any tetracycline antibiotic derivative, but in some instances they can be warranted. Careful usage and monitoring should be applied to all such antibiotics. I do not believe that they should be a first choice in any animal.

I´d be concerned about dosing if the owner doesn´t have confidence in the vet and has stated as much already.
Last edited by imanut4u on Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicole

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:51 pm

Nuts, from what she´s told me, she is fully aware of the pro´s and con´s of using the tetracycline.

I have no idea what to do now! He is the only vet who will even see guinea pigs let alone dispense medication to them. I have done some reading on Tetracycline and I do know not to give dairy after giving it to them because it affects it. I do know that I have to watch them very closely after giving it to them and that they need a non dairy yogurt, which I have. They really need this medication. Now. I am at my wits end here. I have a bag of medicine sitting in front of me and 4 sick pigs here who are slowly dying in front of me because no one will help me!!

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:39 am

I can´t help you. I absolutely suck at math. It´s just a garble of numbers to me. Can she get the vet to give her a prescription for Doxycycline? It´s a little easier on them than tetracycline. Also regular drug stores have both drugs in capsul form. You can get 50mg capsuls of Doxycycline in the States. A dose that works well with the doxy is 5mg/kg twice a day. If you mix a 50mg capsul with 10cc liquid (I think water´s okay) that would be a dose of 1cc twice a day. The regular dose in the med books is 2.5mg/kg which would be 0.5cc twice a day. With very ill pigs, we have found the higher dose to be more effective.

Jill

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:07 am

Maybe a pharmacist could help?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:54 am

I was looking at this again and realized if you do it in metrics it can be simple. I kept thinking it was 181g of the drug and missed that you only have 10g in a packet. You said:

This packet contains 10 g of tetracycline hydrochloride activity.
Net wt. of the packet is 6.4 OZ (181 g)

Mix the packet in one liter of water (find a liquor bottle if you have to -- empty the liquor bottle first :) ).
Each liter contains 1000cc
Each cc drawn from the well-mixed liter will have 0.01gm of the drug.
Each gm contains 1000 mg.
So each cc will have 10mg of the drug.
Give them 1.5cc of this mix. This will provide the 15mg you say should be the dose (I´m not double checking this).

Sorry it took so long for me to realize this was a simple problem. But you really do have to do it in metrics. (please check my numbers in case I goofed).
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:54 am

16 mg/gal? Can´t dose the pig with that.

6.4 oz package is 100 mg tetracycline?

Put the 6.4 oz. package into 12.5cc liquid for 8mg/cc

Is that right? Probably too much dry stuff to mix into 12.5cc which might be totally wrong anyway.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:57 am

Beats me, Lynx. You lost me at the .04525

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:06 am

Pinta, I changed my post (realized my error right away -- I was thinking 181g drug, not 10g drug). I think I found a simple solution.

By the way, I think the screwy dilutions that Nicole listed are extremely dilute solutions for fish. At least that´s what I´m guessing. As mentioned, probably not a good med to give cavies.

Nicole, maybe you could describe the person´s location in case someone on this board knows of a good cavy vet in the area.
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicole

Post   » Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:18 pm

Hi,

Sorry it´s taken me so long to reply to this thread. I´ve been very busy lately.

She had found a vet who gave her Bactrim, thankfully, and all of the piggers are doing well.

I asked about the ´dilute solutions for fish´, and she told me that it said on the bag that it was for swine and cattle.

She is in Utah, not sure of the city, I will have to ask.

Thanks again,
Nicole