Mites (Revolution & Ivermectin)

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 am

How long does it take to work? Should I still be vigilant about changing my clothes, etc., every time I hold him?

worldangel

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:12 am

My girls are having mites as well and we are due for the second dose tomorrow :)

I believe the mites will not infect humans, but it might cause rashes on people who have sensitive skin (I am unfortunately one of them). I do not think you need to change your clothes everytime you hold him though. I know I didn't! I do ensure I wash my hands and the part of my body that comes into contact with them afterwards.

monicabr

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi guys. I am going to treat my piggies (4) with revolution, but don't know how to dose..
My vet gave my 4 single dose tubes with 15mg
0.25mL (60mg/mL)
Can anyone please point me to the place/link I can go to to calculate how much I need per piggie?
I should calculate according to their weight...and age?
One is affected, the others are preventive care...I want to make sure I don't poison them...
Should I apply and do a deep clean (change all the fleece and clean with water/vinegar) right after?
Any tips on how to avoid things to get worse?
Thanks for all your help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:56 pm

You give them the whole single dose. You don't have to calculate anything.

They shouldn't get worse.

Just do your normal cage cleaning. The heat from the dryer will kill any parasites.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 pm

I do have more detailed info in the guide but if you follow bpatters advise (just use one tube per guinea pig), you'll be fine. This is likely the kitten dose and they give a range of weights (no?). And you also have your vet's guidance on this.

The detailed info would have you give a precise amount and would be more complicated to administer.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasiti ... selamectin

The veterinary article linked from the antiparasitic page above includes a table providing
"Simplified Treatment Regimens for Use of Selamectin in Exotic Pets":
http://jarvm.com/articles/Vol5Iss3/Beck%2087-96.pdf
Guinea pig
Lice
15 mg for animals ≤800 g body weight
30 mg for animals >800 g body weight
Mites
15 mg for animals ≤800 g body weight
30 mg for animals >800 g body weight

mccartney_tata

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi, I really need your advice. I have a baby guinea pig, less than 1 month old and weighs only 105 g and he has lice. Could you please tell me what can I use? Unfortunately, there are very few choices in my country and vets know very little about exotic animals...
Thank you in advance

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 pm

You need Revolution (selamectin) made for kittens. I have no idea whether you could find it there or not.

mccartney_tata

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks a lot, I will try my best

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:46 pm