Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:26 pm

I can clearly see the elongated roots on the guide picture, and there's something that looks like it might be the same on Pooja Mehta's pictures. But those aren't nearly as clear, so it's hard to tell.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Thank you bpatters and Lynx.

bpatters- Prince has never had dental issues until two weeks back. He is still interested in his food but cannot eat much. He eats a few slices and then done. Can molars overgrow in two weeks?

One of the top teeth is slightly broken, so that could be a reason for looking uneven. When do elongated roots develop? From birth or whenever?

I am confused with respect to the surgery. Should I give him Critical Care the entire day tomorrow and take him for the surgery day after since he has become really weak and Critical Care will give the necessary energy for the surgery? Or should I go tomorrow itself since he cant eat and is drooling? He has been going through a lot of torture since last few days with respect to X-rays, examination, handfeeding, etc..

I really cant see my boy suffering so much. I am really scared. Please please help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 pm

I do not know why elongated roots develop. I am guessing some is genetic - and it's possible that bone loss in the jaw might contribute. Dental issues can indeed develop in a couple weeks. An evaluation from a veterinary dentist who really knows guinea pigs is invaluable in figuring out if there is an issue, what it is, and how to correct it, if possible.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 pm

I'd keep feeding him Critical Care right up until he goes in for the surgery. Guinea pigs don't have to fast before surgery like other animals, because they can't vomit and there's no risk of aspiration.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Update on Prince:
He had a dental surgery where its incisors and premolars were trimmed. Vet has told me to give 2 drops of Evion 200 mg (Vitamin E) once a day X 10days and Enterogermina (Probiotic) 0.2 ml once a day X 5 days and Meloxicam.

I am feeding him Critical Care and he is still struggling to balance and eat on his own. He has become very weak and have lost a lot of weight. He is still drooling and the vet said it will improve in 3/4 days. Shouldnt the drooling stop immediately after the surgery?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:45 pm

I don't know about the drooling, but the vet may have trimmed his incisors to the point that he can't pick food up. If so, you'll have to cut food into matchstick-sized pieces and push them back to his molars so he can chew and swallow them.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 am

His incisors are over trimmed. The vet said that he is unable to close his mouth and that is why he is drooling and it should be fine in 3/4 days. Prince is on a motilty drug (Metoclopramide) from today- 0.2 ml twice a day. Today when i was giving him the medicines, I put the syringe back in his mouth but he dint chew later or on the syringe. Did I accidentally give the medicine in his lungs? He dint aspirate though. How do I know whether the medicine/ food is going in his stomach and not lungs?

He still doesnt eat on his own, not even hay. He doesnt like Critical Care and I cant get more than 20 cc in him, he just wouldn't take it. I mix it with oral rehydrating solution. How do I motivate him to eat more Critical Care and food?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 am

Why is he unable to close his mouth? Planing the molars shouldn't have caused that.

Will he eat if you put food into his mouth so he can chew on it? Like small carrot sticks, or whatever his favorite veggie is?

If you're getting 20 cc of Critical Care in him at one sitting, that's a VERY good job of it. But it's not his choice as to whether he will take it. If you get it in his mouth, back toward his molars, he should chew and swallow it.

You'd have known if you were giving the medicine in his lungs. He'd react the same way you do when you accidentally get a liquid down your windpipe.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:31 pm

My concern is drooling. If the molars are trimed then why is he still drooling. I am assuming that the incisors are too short and drooling is from the gap formed between them.

I tried putting a long thinly sliced green bell pepper and noticed that he took the bell pepper in his mouth in a chewing motion but is not able to take it fully. I saw the end of the bell pepper hanging in his mouth and thought that maybe that particular molar might be hurting. And so i tried to push it to the other molar but he still dint take it in or chew. Thinking it was stuck, I removed the bell pepper and to my surprise the entire bell pepper came out without a thing chewed on. Tried another piece and same thing happened. I am trying really hard to explain. Hope I am making sense.

I also tried few small thinly sliced cucumber. He chewed that properly but after that again drooling. Tried a medium size cucumber piece and the same thing which happened with bell pepper. Pushed the piece inside, he swallowed but then again drooling. I really dont understand what is happening.

He takes 20 cc in the entire day and not one sitting. He starts wiggling and screaming after 6/7 cc. How do I motivate him to take more and sit still?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:39 pm

I tried hand feeding him a strand of hay today. Pushed the thick part of hay back to his molars and he started chewing it but he was unable to suck it in. He was just chewing, so I kept pushing the hay little at a time until it reached the leaves and I cudnt push back the leaves.

Then tried a medium sized cucumber and again he couldn't suck it in. He kept chewing until I checked that the cucumber wasnt going inside any further. I thought he would choke up and so removed it.

I dont understand what is happening? Why is he unable to eat? He keeps drooling the Critical Care also when I handfeed him. He has lost almost 60 grams in three days. He is unable to walk also. He tumbles down every time he tries to walk.

I am crying while writing this post. I feel so helpless. I am unable to find the actual cause and cant see him in pain like this. I think I am losing my baby :(

Please please help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:49 pm

I am so sorry it is so difficult for your guinea pig to eat. I do not know what to advise you other than contacting your vet. You have all my best wishes.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 am

Prince have a vet appointment tomorrow. With respect to his inability to walk, the vet is also unable to find the cause. She says that it could be related to old age because the X-rays look normal. She said to start the homeopathic medicines for hip problem and see if it works. Can someone please take another look at his X-rays and help me find out the cause?

He has come down to 575 grams. He is still not eating on his own. He shows interest in food but is unable to eat. How long does a piggy take to eat on his own after molar and incisor trimming?

He is currently on Meloxicam and Metoclopramide. Could this be the reason for not eating?

Should I give him some antibiotics to see if the problem is internal and if he improves? I have Bactrim and Baytril in hand.

He is still drooling the Critical Care and water.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.