Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:10 pm

After shampooing, their coat becomes very silky but the skin where new hairs are growing becomes a little dry. They vibrate everytime while bathing and drying, like they are in pain. I think I will stop the antifungal baths and apply Miconazole cream as both serve the same purpose. Hopefully the cream will not dry out their skin and treat fungus.

My vet feels that since topical treatment is not working, we could try oral treatment, like deworming them. Any views/suggestions on this?

Yesterday I gave 9th dose of Ivermectin to them. Should I stop Ivermectin also?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:46 pm

It may be the shampoo is drying the skin then. I would see if stopping the fungal treatments helps. If you think there is still any possibility of mites, Revolution could help.

Looking at the original pictures you sent, it looks much more like mites than fungus (though they can be concurrent and treating for fungus was still a reasonable move). If you have any cold pressed coconut oil, it could sooth dry skin. Keep a close eye on the skin and look for redness.

It is possible you could get an inexpensive digital microscope to take pictures of the skin. I have been able to do that to identify very tiny bugs. It would allow you to monitor the skin for changes and let your vet know what you see in case it worsens.

This is one example of an inexpensive digital microscope:
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Microscope-Flexible-Observation-Magnification/dp/B00XNYXQHE/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1497667573&sr=1-4&keywords=digital+microscope

This link does weird things if I make it live. Just copy and paste instead.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Ditto Lynx. A topical cream will at this point I think be better than additional bathing. Cold pressed virgin coconut oil may help as well.

I would try Revolution (selamectin, it may be called Stronghold in your country) topically before any kind of oral dewormer. Guinea pigs do not need to be dewormed unless they've picked up serious parasites, usually from being outdoors.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Thank you Lynx and Talishan for your help.
I will stop the antifungal baths and try my luck with antifungal cream and cold pressed coconut oil. If the scratching still doesn't stop then will ask my vet for Selamectin. My piggies have never been out except for vet visits. They are always in the house under the fan/AC.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Sandy has been experiencing a head tilt, loss in appetite and has removed all his chest hair.
Took him to a new vet today (my vet is out of country for a month) and she said that his lymph nodes has enlarged and have asked for a dental X-ray.
She also said that he has ear infection and gave ear drops-
http://www.petshop18.com/scientific-rem ... p-for-dogs

She gave Enroflaxacin (0.1 ml twice a day X 5 days) and a Probiotic (1 gram added to food X 10days)-
https://petshopindia.com/mera-pet-dizyl ... p-for-pets
Additional information- powder contains Bacteria/Yeast (lactobacillus acidophilus, saccharomyces boulardii), Enzymes (pepsin, papain, bromelain, protease, lipase, amylase, oxbile), Electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride), Amini acids (glutamine, methionine), MOS & FOS.

For the hair loss and thick,dark,itchy skin on the belly she has prescribed cream-
https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.tabl ... amp?espv=1
She said Selamectin is not available in India and she will have to check with her supplier if he has it.

My questions:
1. Are all the medications and probiotic she prescribed correct? (Because she is new to me)
2. What is the exact dosage (mg/kg) for enrofloxacin? Guinealynx page says 2.5-10.0 mg/kg. I have a 10% solution and each ml contains 100mg. Sandy weighs 620 grams. What would be the exact dose for him?

Thanking you in advance.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Edit:
I have a 100ml bottle of 10% solution of Enrofloxacin and each ml contains 100mg. What would be the dose then?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:05 pm

That's a pretty concentrated amount of enrofloxacin. Check over https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html to do the calculations.

p.s. there is no "exact dose" for enrofloxacin. A range of dosages is listed. Depending on what is wrong, a vet may give more or less.

So if you use the 2.5mg/kg you will get one dose and if you use the 10mg/kg you will get a larger one. Or the dose could be something in between, like 5mg/kg. The dose you give should fall within that range.

I come up with a low of 0.016cc to a high of 0.065cc using a concentration of 100mg/ml and a weight of 0.65kg.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:33 am

Thank you Lynx for helping with Enrofloxacin dosage. I am more confident now.

I checked the ingredients of the ear drops and they are all listed here on guinealynx, so I am assuming it is safe to use.

Now if someone could please help with the cream and probiotic, I would be 100% stressfree. Are they ok? Should I continue with the same?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:00 am

The cream looks soothing. The link to the probiotic did not give much info. You would watch out for too much sugar in the product (look at the list of ingredients on the package). Probiotics are flexible. Read more:
probiotics.html

Since ear drops are not ingested, a wide range of antibiotics can be used.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:58 am

The probiotic should be ok. The cream should also, if you apply it sparingly and rub it in well. I'd prefer just plain cold pressed virgin coconut oil if you can get it, though.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Ditto Lynx and bpatters.

Do follow up on selamectin if the vet can get it, too.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Thank you everyone for helping.
I applied the cream today for the first time. I dont have much experience with applying creams to piggies, so tried to be as cautious as possible. I applied as little as I could and rubbed it in his skin and kept him out of his cage for a good 15/20 minutes, so that he wouldn't lick it immediately and would allow the skin to absorb the cream.

The link to the probiotic dint give all the information, that's why I wrote additional information as listed on the package. Sandy seems to like the probiotic and takes it willingly :)

Sandy has a follow up appointment in three days, will enquire about Selamectin that time.