respirations per minute?

Etta Mae
Lynx's Favorite

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2002 12:45 pm

I think my pig might be breathing faster than usual. Or it could be that it´s normal and I am just being super observant and a bit paranoid. (I have poked many a sleeping animal to make sure it is living). I gave her a mini bath last night to remove the cranberry juice from her butt, but made sure she was super dry and warm before placing her in her cage.

She is bright, alert, responsive, eating, drinking and pooping. Her eyes are bright and clear.

If someone could please tell me the usual respiration rate per minute I would be mighty appreciative. I am sure the pig would appreciate some privacy, as well.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2002 1:33 pm

Harkness and Wagner in The Biology and Medicine of Rabbits and Rodents list the respiration rate as being 42-104/min

I don´t know how important the actual rate is but I know if breathing is labored there may be a problem.

Etta Mae
Lynx's Favorite

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2002 2:18 pm

It doesn´t really seem labored, more like her sides seem to be expanding and contracting quickly, like she is in a constant state of "sniffing".

There doesn´t seem to be any deep breaths. I am trying hard to time it, but am not having any luck.

Would you recommend a vet trip to be safe?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2002 2:23 pm

Many people suggest a trip to the vet if something seems off. It certainly wouldn´t hurt. I would watch for other indicators there is a problem -- is she in pain? Eating okay? Otherwise acting herself? I guess you are the only person in a position to decide if there may be something wrong.

Etta Mae
Lynx's Favorite

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:04 pm

I called the e-clinic, and they said basically the same thing.They were mainly concerned about nasal and eye discharge, of which there is none. Hopefully I am simply an incurable hypochondriac.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1