pregnant piggy has skin? mite? problem

wyldwood

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:14 pm

My female guinnea is in her last stages of pregnancy. I had to pick her up today to cut her nails. when I put my hands under her belly i noticed it felt rough. sitting her up gently, i noticed that her whole belly is covered in a flake. Like dandruff or scabbing, but its in huge sheets. Her hair comes out with it if i pull some of the skin away. I did notice a mite of some sort on her today, but hesitate to treat her as she is so far along pregnant. Is the scaling of her skin from the mite? its only on her belly. I cant get a really good look, dont want to mess with her to much right now. What should I do?

pigpal

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:45 pm

Mites are very tiny, usually only visible under a microscope. Could it be possible what you saw was some other parasite, a louse or flea maybe?

Hairloss is not uncommon in pregnancy, it can be related to hormonal changes. Hard to say what is causing the hairloss and scaling in your pig, without seeing her. Is your pig scratching a lot?

You´re right not to want to mess with her unecessarily, as she is close to delivery. If she´s not in great distress, or scratching excessively and making herself sore, I think I would be inclined to leave her alone until after the babies are born. What do others think?

wyldwood

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:48 pm

While the "bug" i saw on her was very small and saw quite by mistake, it was viewable, sort of long and yellowish in color. very skinny. Her mate however, I have noticed, since finding her skin condition, has small mites? on him. They are white, and look like pieces of dandruff on him, but they crawl away when i move his hair around. So now I have two guinneas with what looks like two different types of mites. He does not have any kind of skin condition or problem. no flaking. no hair loss. I have had them both since June.

wyldwood

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:50 pm

They both scratch alot. I thought it was part of normal grooming. She is sensitive to me touching her belly, where the skin problem is. Definitely not a flea. a louse? Not being sure what guinnea pig lice look like, im not sure. So i can pretty much rule out mite? because of its size?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:51 pm

Mites live in and under the skin. They are microscopical and can´t be seen to the naked eye. What you saw was probably a lice. The scaling could be parasites or fungus.

How far along is this sow in her pregnancy? Do you have access to a cavy knowledgable vet?

pigpal

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:54 pm

Yes, the long thin thing sounds like a louse to me too. Here is some information on hairloss and parasites from GuineaLynx, which may help you:

https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:54 pm

Ah. Pigpal beat me to it. To me, it sounds like your sow has mites AND lice.

How come this sow is pregnant?

wyldwood

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:59 pm

Oh, this is just lovely. lol Evangeline, she should give birth anyday now. Unfortunately, the pair have been together since june. Bought them together, so I have no idea as to her exact date.except that she is about to bust, they move around alot in her, and she does alot of hiccuping motions the last three days, that she has never done before. will have to look around about teh vet. We have several, very expensive around here, but i will have to see about being cavy knowledgable. I try to do as much myself as i can as i cant really afford vet bills right now. Yes, I know, bad to say, but unfortunately true. I will wait to treat her for lice, worry about the babies though. And any ideas on the male and his moving dandruff? I know I red something similar to what he has i believe. Just read where it sounds like he has fur mites. I will get the wash for him.
Last edited by wyldwood on Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wyldwood

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:00 pm

how come she is pregnant? Ummm, because she has a mate? And we wanted babies. I just discovered all of this today. With her being pregnant, I have not been picking her up.

wyldwood

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:01 pm

Whatever she has, she has obviously had since I bought them in June. Aside from some scratching, there have been no visible signs of anything going on, til today.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:09 pm

Many cavies, some say all, have mites at a low level that doesn´t bother them, but a stress like pregnancy can cause the m to become a problem. They have probably had them since you got them.

I´m sorry you are breeding them. You would be wise to find a good cavy knowledgable vet, in case of any problems with labor and delivery, and take them both in for treatment of the parasites.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:14 pm

Are you aware of the fact about 1 in 5 pregnant sows doesn´t make it?
Are you aware of the fact sows go back into heat just hours after delivery, so you have to separate her from the male BEFORE she gives birth?
Are you familiar with the signs of pregnancy toxemia and do you know what to do in such a case?

I try to do as much myself as i can as i cant really afford vet bills right now.
Let´s hope to God she doesn´t get toxemia or needs a c-section, then. That is mucho $$$.

The people here will help anyone who needs medical help, but breeding is not something we support as a community.