two hard lumps 1 on each pig.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:43 pm

Two of the pigs from Zanesville have hard lumps on them. I just noticed them tonight while doing a little check over of them all since they´ve settled in more.

The first one I noticed was on the boar. It´s about the size of a small marble and it´s under his chin. It´s hard and doesn´t seem to move when I nudge at it. He´s completely irritable to be held but all of his hair is thin, and probably mites infested.

The other one I noticed is on the Golden Agouti sow. It´s smaller than the one on the boar and it located on the left side of her jaw. I felt both sides and the right side doesn´t have this on it. She´s not irritable to be held and when I nudge the mass on her it doesnt seem to bother her a bit. It also seems pretty stationary.

Any ideas? I´m calling the vet in the morning to make an appointment, just would like some ideas and input.

Thanks.

pinta

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:46 am

My guess would be abscesses. Does the boar just have one lump or two (like a barbell)?

The vet will probably lance them and dig out the pus or remove the entire abscess. Sometimes it´s worth culturing to make sure you are using the right antibiotic.

Lumps close to the jaw could be teeth abscesses. An xray would show if there is an tooth abscess.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:57 am

as far as I can tell they both have just one lump.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:49 am

Check out cervical lymphadenitis (don´t know if that´s spelled right). Supposedly streptobacillus moniliformis is responsible for it. Transmission through cuts, breathing in the organism or through the genitalia. Most frequently it enters the animal through "small abrasions in the oral cavity" (Harkness and Wagner). The agent ends up in the lymphatics and in the cervical lymph nodes where it spreads and you can end up with abscesses. It is pretty contageous.

pinta

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2002 2:00 pm

With cervical lymphadenitis you generally get 2 lumps shaped like a barbell. More likely the pigs have standard abscesses.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:03 pm

update:

The vet appointment was today, finally. The mass on Jeff´s chin was opened and cleaned out, and I will continue cleaning it at home. he was put on a antibiotic to prevent or kill any infection. Portions of the fluid were collected to see what is in there, but he put him on something till we go back a week from tuesday.

Vicki´s lump has disapeared to me. He felt it, said it was extremely small. I can´t even find it on her, so I know it´s smaller, I thought it was gone but took her in this morning anyhow. He put her on antibiotics too, and will see her at the next appointment as well. Hopefully she´ll be ´healed´, can these things just go away like this?

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:05 pm

Abcesses can resorb, but they usually need to be lanced and flush.

What did he give you to flush the abcess? Did he put in a shunt?

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:22 pm

no shunt, I´m using iodine/water solution to flush it out with a syringe. The opening is pretty large on it. The "gunk" coming out is a thick consistancy, but it´s tinged with blood. I´ve read that´s a good sign, no?
Last edited by Erin8607 on Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:28 pm

From what I understand, yes.
Hang in there!

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:15 pm

he doesn´t mind it too much, and is taking the medicine like a champ, he just doesnt like that syringe poking in there. He does like the extra attention and extra veggies = )

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:01 pm

The missing lump, swollen lymphnode? Now not so swollen?

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:10 pm

Lynx, how would that be checked? Honestly I cannot feel a thing on her ´cheek´ now, before it felt the same as his did, only smaller. Anything I should have done special when I go back a week from tuesday?