thinning hair/ovarian cysts

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:21 pm

Can anyone point me to a picture of the hairloss associated with Ovarian Cysts? The black and white female has very thin hair on both her sides, and she also is the one whom I believe to be pregnant. Reading past posts I see that pigs with ovarian cysts take on the pregnant pear shape. I couldn´t begin to tell you how old this pig is since it´s considerably underweight, she´s 1 pound 5 ounces but you can feel every bone in her body.

I know they´ve got to have mites, so I´m treating for that now, I hope it gets her hair to grow back. They are also all barbering each other because they´ve never had hay at that "rescue". There are a lot of factors that could be causing this, but I want to see O.C. pictures.

She still has a strip of normal hair along her backbone, but from there down it´s very thin. I wish I had my computer so I could post a picture.
Last edited by Erin8607 on Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:37 pm

Perhaps later you could post a picture?

I failed to take a pic of Snowflake when it was evident she had bilateral hairloss on the sides of her abdomen due to ovarian cysts. But I´m sure it would vary somewhat from one pig to another.

Keep in mind, this hairloss is affected by hormones. I understand pregnant pigs can experience some hairloss too and this could well be due to hormones.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:26 pm

I hope so. I just took some, but my mom´s computer doesn´t support my digital camera software. The service center said my computer would take 2-3 weeks, well this is week 4. Hopefully it will be back soon. I have nearly 200 pictures stored on my camera at this point, making the battery go out quickly too. Good thing it´s rechargable.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:48 am

computer is back, here is one picture of the sow I´m talking about. More pictures can be seen at http://www.imageevent.com/erin8607/zanesvillerescues her name is "Nancy" (my mom named her lol)

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:50 am

this one may be better

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:42 am

Could be pregnancy related. Time will tell if she´s pregnant and once she´s been treated for mites. I had a sow that went almost completely bald with a litter and started growing back hair after the pups were weaned. I weaned the boars at two weeks to give her a break since she looked awful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:55 am

Snowflake had a general thinning on the sides of the lower bulgy part of her abdomen until it all really fell out. The area was much larger than the bitty area I see on your pig. I also wonder if you´ve ever seen her tugging at that area. It could be she pulled it out herself.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:47 am

All three of them were barbering each other for the first night/day, they were never given hay so they decided hair was the next best thing. They have hay now, and I haven´t seen them barbering each other. They also scratch and chew at themselves from the mites, like I said, there are a lot of factors that could be contributing to this. I just wanted to get opinions here too!

Thanks! Wait and see games are rough =)

pigpal

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:30 pm

Ooops, posted in Placement too. Sorry, Lynx.

This hairloss pattern looks very similar to that of TeddyMom, a Hollister sow nursing newborn pups, who turned out to be pregnant yet again. She grew new hair after the pups were weaned. She also received a course of Ivermectin and attention was given to providing high quality nurition. Treat for mites, feed her well, then wait and see.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:05 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I gave the first dose of ivermectin on Monday night, we´ll see if that takes care of it.