blood in nipple

lisam

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:45 pm

Last night when I milked my mare (okay, this isn´t about pigs--just thought I´d try to sneak it by) to see if she was getting closer to foaling, instead of the clear or whitish fluid I expected, rusty colored blood came out! Quite a shock. I milked the other nipple, but nothing came out. I will be calling the vet first thing in the morning, needless to say. In all other aspects she is fine, due to foal any day now. I can´t imagine what it could be--infection? Burst blood vessel? This is the first time this year I have attempted to milk her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:07 pm

Let us know if it is harmless. I imagine the blood flow is increased in that area, getting ready to produce milk. Wonder what he´ll have to say...

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:03 am

I have no idea Lisam. I was hoping someone with more experience would answer, but I don´t like the sound of blood coming out of anything. I hope your mare is OK, keep me posted.

lisam

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:18 pm

Last night both nipples had blood. I am anxiously waiting for the vet to call me back.

lisam

Post   » Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:27 pm

Those darn vets never called me back, I had to call twice a day for the past two days. They finally gave the phone to the "new guy" who didn´t have a clue, but at least said he´d look in his textbooks (he´s fresh out of college).

Doesn´t matter anyway, since my mare foaled early this morning. I milked her right afterwards, and there was colostrum in the blood. By the time the baby was up and nursing it was mostly colostrum, and now there is no trace of blood. Anyway, we have a brand new chestnut pinto colt! His mom is Lil, his name is Calla Lily (Cal for short).

I can only guess that it was a burst blood vessel in the udder.

SandraVE

Post   » Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:45 pm

Congratulations!!! I´m glad both Lil and Calla Lily are doing well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:49 pm

Congrats! Hope they are both healthy and happy!

You would think people could give answers to questions. I suspect vets don´t want to let on they don´t have all the answers.