Questions about Mastitis, fungus and a baby w/ a problem...

Zoe

Post   » Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:40 pm

Well, of course it´s Sunday, so I can´t call the vet... I will get these guys to vets but wanted to know what people knew about these things. What do the vets do? What are people´s experiences.....

#1 My Hollister Momma Magnolia (Maggie) has a nipple that looks infected (swollen, some blood sometimes). She is on TMS for her severe bumblefoot right now... but I was wondering... what do vets do for what I think is Mastitis? She is almost 3 weeks into nursing her 4 babies. I removed the 2 males today since one was getting pretty horny. The babies still want to nurse but... OUCH...

#2 One of the girl babies (just under 3 weeks), actually the largest, healthest looking one, sounds like she hurts when she pees. What antibiotics are safe for babies? How could she have a UTI at such an early age. I see no blood, just sounds pained. It is horrible to hear that sound.

#3 My sister´s Hollister rescue has what looks like fungus on a couple of feet. She was using Gyno-Lotromin?? What is the best over-the-counter stuff? Lamisil okay? What were we usiing on the pigs at PHS? It´s on his feet... she is worried about him licking the stuff...

I have been the anxious mommy about these guys. Heading off on a trip on Thrusday...

Also wanted to add that eventhough Maggie´s foot is still huge, I found that this stuff that is made to cover sores that need to drain... works great. I cut a piece the right size and it stays on until I need to take it off... Soaks off well when I do the chlorhexidne soaks... Doesn´t stick to the wound. The wound looks really clean. Also, a little bit of vegetable oil on sticky bandages will remove them without ripping the hair and skin off. Just let it sit until the glue weakens.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:24 pm

Yipes! Sounds like you need a trip to the vet.

Bactrim is safe for a UTI in a young pig. No idea with the lotrmin/lamisil (I imagine you read the info on pododermatitis and fungus on Guinea Lynx -- it may very well be a staff infection vs. a fungal infection). With mastitis, I´m guessing antibiotics. I would also try soaking the area (perhaps a very warm but not too warm wet washcloth). Maybe there are some other hints out there.

Zoe

Post   » Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:17 pm

Sorry to put several things on one thread....

Yeah, I am calling first thing tomorrow morning. Magnolia was seen by Dr. Murray last week and is doing well. Still waiting for the info on the culture to get back. Wish I had known her nipple would get like this or I would have asked about it while I was there.

One of the Hollister piggies had Mastitis, but I don´t know what happened to her.

The little baby is a foster piggy. I probably ought to call Teresa and see if she wants me to take the piggy to her vet (a drive for me) or the vet here in town. I will have to give up the babies soon. I can hold on to them for a couple of weeks or so.... and I know that there is no room for them... but as they grow they will need more and more cage space. I took the boys out this morning because one was getting pretty hot to trot.

pinta

Post   » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:45 am

http://www.oginet.com/Cavies/cvbirpo.htm

Scroll down to Sore Nipples.

Zoe

Post   » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:23 pm

Thanks Pinta, that helps a lot! I am glad she is already on TMS for the foot.

This moist wound care stuff has been great for her open sore on her bumble foot. It´s called NEW SKIN: Wound &Blister Dressing. It stays on and doesn´t stick to the wound. It lets it drain while keeping it protected. You can cut it to different shapes... Love it. You can leave it on for several days, though I soak it off during her foot soakings.