neighbors dog is going to die!

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:32 pm

This has really been on my mind lately, Erin. For the past 2 nights I´ve had nightmares about various ghosts & monsters (caused by my thinking of The Langoliers on my flight home from Detroit) trying--and sometimes succeeding--in killing me & the pigs (caused from what your neighbor´s dog did).

I don´t really understand the whole pure-bred thing. I adore dogs (and pigs, of course), but when you´re breeding for ´purity´, all you´re looking for is a clone of all the other pure-bred animals out there, but with more ´perfection´, which means predictability. Sure, they´re cute and sweet and all, but if I had my druthers, I´d take an animal with quirks. I like unexepected splashes of color or a funky hair pattern. Esthetically, they´re more interesting to look at.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:52 pm

They want them to look as close to the standard as they can. A lot of the show dogs (and other show animals I am sure) aren´t even raised by their owners! The trainer takes care of them. Like a commodity. I´ll never understand it. Josephine sums it up. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Becky

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:43 pm

Erin, how scary!

About a year ago I had a similar incidence. I was taking Cookie and Chippie to their Aunty who has two dogs. I had "unloaded" their carrier which was at the top of the drive. Her retriever (with VERY soft, long lips!) made a beeline to the carrier and stuck his head in, grabbing Cookie before I could get over there. Suddenly, he dropped her back in and ran far awary from the carrier. Cookie was fine--no marks at all. A few days later, I got a call from my friend. She´d just been to the vets to treat a puncture wound on her dogs nose. Seems Chippie was getting Cookie´s back.

Very scary! Glad your little girl is doing OK.

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:56 pm

I had a really bad experience with a dog last summer. I had the herd out in the back yard in their pig-proof enclosures (no escapes) and had gone into the house for a sec, my kids started yelling. . . I came running back out to find a boxer running out of the yard with a pig in his mouth. In less than 30 seconds, he´d killed 5 guineas.

If it ever sets foot in my yard again, it´s a dead dog.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:13 pm

oh wow Gracielee that is horrible. I´d be sitting with the shotgun while the pigs were out form now on!

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:49 pm

Wow becky! Pigs actually help each other in fights? Ur pigs must be really good friends with each other! Gracielee, thats horrible............. lucky my street don´t have any dogs around (I think). But I´m gonna chase that dog to hell if it ever even touch my pig.