No poop

Marimbist

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:00 am

Hello all. I´m the proud owner of 15 piggies, mostly recues. I´ve had piggies for about 7 years, but I haven´t encountered this problem.

I have a little girl, about two years old, who is recovering from an ear infection. She has been on antibiotics and just finished up her last dose yesterday. During the illness, her liquid and food consumption fluctuated, but is currently quite good. She is peeing, but I don´t see any poops. She did a couple of small ones during the night, but none this morning. She does not have any tenderness in her tummy and otherwise seems fine. Any suggestions?

I just put some fresh poops from my healthy boys in her pen. I´ve debated about giving her iceburg lettuce, which I know can cause diarhea, but I was hoping it might at least get her moving.

Please help!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:26 am

I understand Reglan is a motility drug that might help get things moving. You are of course right to be concerned.

For what it´s worth, I would try bathing her in a comfortably warm bath, cleaning her bottom well with a little soap. I only say this because I´ve noticed a couple pigs who seem pretty nervous and upset when they need to be cleaned and poop up a storm when their bottoms are being cleaned. If there is nothing wrong with her, it may get things moving to ease your mind.

I would also make absolutely sure she is really eating. Have you been weighing her? Cantelope, tomato, rinsed romaine, will all add liquid to her system. If her poops are small, she may be dehydrated. You could offer water by syringe also.

Otherwise, calling a vet is probably a good idea. This could be serious.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marimbist

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:53 am

My regular vet is out of town at an exotics convention, which unfortunately, is where most of the other reliable vets are as well. I did speak with one earlier, but he said to not worry about it, unless it went on for more than 24 hours. I encouraged dark green veggies and plenty of hay, which she has.

I do have some Reglan, but it is left over from last year. The expiration date was some time in March 2002, so I don´t want to try that.

I just set with her and held her for a while. She seems perfectly content. Her tummy is not hard and she doesn´t seem to be in any discomfort. She´s eating like a buzz-saw, as my dad would say. I don´t know what else to do. He is the only other vet in the area.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:28 pm

I did speak with one earlier, but he said to not worry about it, unless it went on for more than 24 hours.

Yikes! This does NOT sound like a competent vet.

If nothing´s coming out, it´s usually because nothing´s getting in. Anerexia is extremely dangerous. Please read the informationm article on this subject on Guinea Lynx (button at the top of this screen). If she´s really eating and nothing´s coming out, I agree that Reglan seems like the way to go.

Maybe you could try to talk about this with the other vet?
Last edited by Evangeline on Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marimbist

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:22 pm

I wanted to post a reply and thank everyone for their help.

We ended up getting Duchess through it by making sure she ate lots of healthy poops from her daughters. Disgusting as it sounds to others, to feed your pet poop, I think it really did help her. We also gave her plenty of dark, leafy vegetables and plenty of timothy and oat hay. The vet saw her on Wednesday and said she looked to be doing better. She´s doing better and seems to be returning to her normal self.

Thanks for your help!
I´m glad I found this forum! I was getting a bit frantic!

lisam

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:59 pm

Glad to hear she is doing better! When I have to give a pig a healthy poop from another pig I crush it and add it to whatever I am handfeeding and syringe it.